PDA

View Full Version : Boom vang

S.Airing
04-17-2002, 08:54 AM
This is for French,got your e mail is this what your asking about?

French
04-17-2002, 09:44 AM
Yes it is. It also looks completly different from mine. After looking at several other pictures closely they mostly have a different set up. I guess I'll just put mine together by logic and see how it comes out. I 'll post a couple of pictures for advise. thanks

French
04-18-2002, 08:48 AM
This is my hookup for the Boom. Anyone have something like this, and see something missing??

S.Airing
04-18-2002, 08:54 AM
Your set up looks like a combo boom vang/boom brake.A boom vang attaches at the base of the mast only.How do the outboard ends attach?Maybe its some fancy California rig?Capt. Bill might know.Only thing close to your set up that Ive seen is a boom brake.

French
04-18-2002, 09:56 AM
Hmmm Boom Brake sounds right. This setup has another pulley further down , then ends up in a crab cleat.

It seems like all it does is stops the boom from swinging.

noeta-112
04-18-2002, 09:59 AM
Just to hazard a guess.... I think it looks to be a preventer set up for both port and starboard tacks. Saves changing over the rigging from side to side.

Jibe Ho !!

How is the stainless band attached to the boom? Screws/rivets or maybe the boom is different than mine and the band can just wrap around the boom and be cinched down with the nylon strap.

French
04-18-2002, 10:21 AM
The band slides over and hooks into the sail track, tight fit, the nylon is not adjustable, so I guess the pull of rigging gives it the extra tension...

"Preventor", that is what I heard it called by someone I spoke with at the maintenance meeting. I was not sure if that was what she was referring to, but the discripion sounded like it.

S.Airing
04-18-2002, 10:31 AM
French ,a boom brake and a preventer are the same thing.,I can cleat off my vang on either side to make it a preventer.

noeta-112
04-18-2002, 10:36 AM
Hooks into the sail track huh? So is the band a two piece affair or do you have to load it into the sail track as you would to attach the sail by sliding it into the track??

I like the idea of spreading out the load by using a wide band like that. A hard jibe can develop a horrendous load on the rigging.

The way yours is set up, it would seem you get a couple of benefits - not only a preventer but also the effects of a boom vang and a way to control the swing of the boom as you knock back a cool one whilst becalmed in a gently rolling sea. The sun beating down ...... Geez I wish the fog and rain and fridgid air would disappear....

Bill
04-18-2002, 10:57 AM
Garhauer Marine Hardware produces a reasonably prices rigid boom vang. Several of the SF Bay boats have installed them. Mine is still TBI.

The model is RV 16-1 (rigid vange, 16 to 1 purchase). Price is about $200. Garhauer asks for a tracing of the aft side of the mast so they can custom make the mounting plate.

Advantages are better boom control and elimination of the topping lift. (Although you do want a pennant on the backstay to which you attach the boom when storing the boat to take the pressure off the vang.)

Garhauer supplies hardware for Catalina Yachts and does not sell through chandleries. Their stuff is really nice and selling direct keeps their prices low. Free catalog
www.garhauermarine.com

French
04-18-2002, 11:18 AM
It is a two piece unit. Outside bands have a lip that hooks to the inside of the sail track.

Originally posted by noeta-112
Hooks into the sail track huh? So is the band a two piece affair or do you have to load it into the sail track as you would to attach the sail by sliding it into the track??

noeta-112
04-18-2002, 11:22 AM
Bill,

Yeah a real nice garhauer boom vang 3/8" wth 40 ' braided line
at sailnet goes $95.

I think I might order right now!!