PDA

View Full Version : insurance

tcoolidge
04-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Not sure if this is the appropriate place for this question but since those who seem to have some idea of what is going on frequent this category regularly, thought I'd give it a try.
It seems West Marine's insurance underwriter has decided they don't want to insure older (pre 1972), inexpensive boats anymore so my policy is being canceled. I would go insurance free ( I trust the hull and generally succeed stupid mistakes) but the dock where I keep the boat requires insurance so I have to find something. The calls I've made locally have produced zilch so I was wondering if there was anyone out there who might point me in the direction of a benevolent broker that could help or offer other useful suggestions. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Tom Coolidge

S.Airing
04-17-2002, 03:28 AM
If your a Boatus member they will insure you but require a curent survey,or I know of some people who tack their boats on to their home owners .Ariels might be too big for that but its a thought.

commanderpete
04-17-2002, 08:11 AM
$500,000 liability coverage on a homeowners policy costs about $ 27.00

French
04-17-2002, 09:39 AM
I have 300,000 liabilty on Kuan Yin for abour 65.00 yr. For my Marina requirements.
Check with Progressive Ins. Co, I found them on a web search. If you can not contact me I'll give you the referral.

tcoolidge
04-19-2002, 09:51 PM
Thanks to all for the input. I'll see if I can add it to the house insurace and go from there. It makes sense and appears to be considerable cheaper than "marine " insurance. Tom C.