+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A-122 Starry Skies

A-122 Starry Skies

Got a few photos of this Ariel a while back. The interesting thing is that the name may be relevant. Here are some stats (remember, 3/16" is standard):

Cable thickness:

Shrouds:
    Lowers - 5/16"
    Uppers - 3/8"

Stays: - 3/8"

Chainplates:

Aft - - 7/16" ss
    Shrouds - 5/15" ss

Let's start with the shrouds:
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bill; 07-30-2003 at 07:46 AM.

And:
    Attached Images  

And
    Attached Images  

Then there's the forward hatch:
    Attached Images  

Anchor:
    Attached Images  

Some heavy control lines:
    Attached Images  

An interesting take on the opening ports:
    Attached Images  

As she rests:
    Attached Images  

pretty amazing, must have had stuff left over from a Bubba 42. And I have a blown-up picture of Ariel out of the Manual on the wall here that shows the sail areas and rigging. Halfway up the backstay is writ: 3/16" wire typical. That's East Coast, of course.

122 looks pretty perky tho. Are those really hinges on the front and back of the fore hatch? Interesting concept.

What is that opening port made from, do you think, galvanized iron? I got some bronze ones from Sparten that look like that, like they came off the Lusitania, have a spigot about 4" deep that I've thought about cutting off to mount in our 1/4" thick coach side there. 122 must have huge furring block inside to have that aqpparent depth shown in the photo. Can't see that there is any clamping action that one would get by use of a finishing ring. Really wish we had a replacement for our tired Marinium ports!

Looks ok, on 122, right?

Looks like his backstay hangs on to the original 1/16" 'plate'. Then 122 has that mending plate there bolted on to keep the boat from splitting. Some of us are splitting the backstay, moving the plates out to the corners. That will help in keeping the stern from separating.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-30-2003 at 07:35 AM.

No, the backstay chainplate is 7/16 - inch thick ss, as noted in first post.

And yes, the stock cable diameter is 3/16 inch. Need to recheck the cables on #76. And also check the gage I used to measure things
    Last edited by Bill; 07-30-2003 at 07:49 AM.

hmmmmm, so that's a 7/16" plate coming up out of the tired caulking? Need a newer computer with more pixies.

Altered State must be a racer with all of that heavy rigging. She has an 'extra' set of tracks on the foredeck too compared to most others. No matter what you just can't ruin the good looks of an Ariel. (no offense intended) It seems to me that the color pattern is reversed from what one would expect. The white non-skid must be easy on the keester in full sun. Judging from the complete boat tent neighbors that's the reasoning.
    Bill, is that one in the registry?

Tony,

Yes, the boat is in the registry, but we believe the ownership may have changed since the boat has moved from Sausalito to Alameda Island. So far, the owner in the current registry is not answering his phone . . .

And no, #122 is not racing. We believe she's setup for heavy weather off shore sailing. Too much heavy gear to be a racer
    Last edited by Bill; 07-31-2003 at 08:38 AM.

Hey, ebb..

If you'd like some bronze ports instead, and have some servicable marinium, let me know soon. I got bronze and they're awful heavy....
    Dave

richard_janek Guest

Ariel 122 - "Starry Skies" CF 7239 CB

I purchased the boat from Lance Peterson about a year ago. The name on the transom at that time was "Delta Madness". I hauled out, painted the hull and bottom and made some other changes. The boat came to me with the oversized rigging that will be changed some time soon.

My name is Richard Janek, I live in Oakland and my home phone
    number is 510-835-8031, please leave a message.

My work number is 650-327-8296 x110

I like to cruise around the bay and enjoy overnights at Clipper Cove, Angel Island and Richardson Bay.

Best Regards,
    Richard

+ Reply to Thread