+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander bridge deck

Commander bridge deck

I did some searches and it seems there is very little information on when the commander started having a bridge deck. I did see one post where Bill asked for commander owners to let us know if they had a bridge deck or not and what hull number they had but there were no replies and the thread jumped straight into bildge pumps.

Did I miss something or is it still unknown when the change was made?

well, after a cursory search in the gallery, my #65 doesn't have it... #155 doesn't, #200 doesn't, and #227 does.... so, my keen deductive reasoning says it happened within those 27 boats
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 01-28-2009 at 07:10 AM.

Thanks Kyle

I found a post saying that C-216 did not have the bridge deck.

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...46&postcount=6

I saw Commander 223 down in King Harbor (SoCal) when it was for sale a while back, and it did NOT have the bridge deck either... so the change came somewhere between C-223 and C-227.

I do not know what happened to that Commander...

Evidence attached:
    Attached Images  

I do believe C223 was up for sale at one point in time on e-bay. I remember the wood trim on the aft cabin top and that green on the sides and lazarettte.

Zoltan Istvan
    comes up on the Search button here.
    It was begun as another thread but is now the source here for the Zoltan escapade, and there are disappearing sites as time goes by.

The boat as C'Pete tells us was C-266.
    Can't imagine doing the Pacific without a bridge deck.
    Wonder if he did....?

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    The boat as C'Pete tells us was C-266. Can't imagine doing the Pacific without a bridge deck. Wonder if he did....?
    Per Rico's sleuthing, Zoltan was safely beyond the #223 to #227 origin of the bridge deck. (wasn't Zoltan the carnival wishing booth wizard in "Big"?)

I will say again that I enjoy and appreciate my "unsafe" extra foot and a half of cockpit.

Bungees (holding hatch boards) can save the planet!!

I will say again that I enjoy and appreciate my "unsafe" extra foot and a half of cockpit.

Bungees (holding hatch boards) can save the planet!!

I agree - I would not give this openess up... And clearly the hatchboards make-up for any shortcomings in a heavy chop. As I've mentioned before, I've seen some heavy chop, and never felt at risk as the stern is quite buoyant.

A breaking / sneaker wave would be the only risk, but in this condition, I'd close-up the whole companionway.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Sure is great being able to pop in and out of the cabin

The Contessa 26 is another well known deathtrap
    Attached Images  

:(

You guys are making me wish I had held out for an older Commander. My luck, 227 was probably the bridge deck prototype.

This place is great. You guys can come up with the answer to most any question there is about these boats. Whether it be through a dilligent search of the archives (thanks Kyle) or personal observation AKA Rico and and Tony G (thanks again) or just having hung out here long enough to remember old posts made by others like Ebb which begs the question of C'Pete "Do you know for sure it was C-226 when the bridgedeck was added Commander Pete?" You all are willing to help. Thanks all

As far as how necessary a bridgedeck is I have to believe is based on how you sail your boat. If you sail on inland small lakes (not including the great lakes) and only in fair weather I can't see the bridge deck being as important. Especially if you sail with lots of people on board where you need the leg room. On the other hand if you are a coastal cruiser you probably want more space below deck and a smaller cockpit like the Ariel.

C'willbe, perhaps the main reason to have a bridgedeck is to raise the waterline in the cockpit in case a green one is taken over the rear. Or leaves cover the drains and it rains alot when you are away.

But a board in the c'way could do the same if you could positively fasten it in place when offshore. You'd have to do something about getting up and down below. Contessa's have cruised extensively - wonder what the drill is keeping the water out?
    Could have a HINGED piece of ply that lays flat on the cockpit sole (have to be able to step on it) that would easily flip up into place against some foam strip. It would always be there ready to use.

It's important, because if too much water gets in the boat will sink like a rock.

The coamings themselves could hold too much water before the cockpit area drained enough... in a worst case.
    Last edited by ebb; 01-29-2009 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    The coamings themselves could hold too much water before the cockpit area drained enough... in a worst case.
    Which was the advantage Zoltan found with the OB well -- it drained the cockpit quickly . . .

C229 has a bridge deck.

+ Reply to Thread