+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: The Daysailor Craze

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Triton Conversion

major conversion on a Triton.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=27026&url=
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 01-02-2008 at 10:29 AM.

Trition

Yea,I remember when this article when it came out ,I think I still have it somewhere.This guy spent alot of money for a day sailer.The original artical listed his budget,all the work was done by a yard so he had alot of labor cost.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 05-30-2002 at 07:11 PM.

I love it !
    There is a hull in Norfolk .Va. that was started , they loped off the big cabin , and that is as far as they got . It's been sitting for years in the back of the boatyard .

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

The Daysailor Craze

I've decided to paint my Commander blue, and fly a big flag

Hinckley DS42

Morris 42

Friendship 40

J100

Morris 36
    Attached Images          
    Last edited by commanderpete; 12-26-2006 at 12:00 PM.

Talking Naw Pete

[size=4]Naw Pete,[/size]

[size=4][/size]

[size=4] You can't fool us. Those are nothing but a bunch of 'wanna be Commanders'[/size]

[size=4][/size]

[size=4] Bunch of Posers![/size]

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

That's what I keep telling myself.

I do like a big flag. My regular flag is 30" long.

The 4 foot flag is for Memorial Day and the 4th of July
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 10-13-2005 at 11:04 AM.

C'Pete,

Do you think I can still cash in on this daysailor craze? We've got this old Pearson Ensign that I want to 'redo'.

Ultimately I'll have to let her go because we've been rezoned here and a makeshift boat yard doesn't fit in with the planning comminsion's goal. (bunch of facist pinko's) Until then I'll pay their paltry fines to satiate their desires.

But, if I could get another five to seven years out of this 'wave' I'm thinking we could make good on that 'free' ensign. Well, not really make any money at it, but, we could have a good time doing it

You in?

no commanders were endangered in writting this post

Two more

C'Pete:

I saw two more blue-hulled day sailers at the Annapolis Boat Show, a Bruckmann and an Alerion Express 38. (Sorry, I'm not as good as you at posting photos.) Nothing like originality, eh.

Al Lorman

I don't know Tony. An Ensign or Commander is way too small for daysailing. It seems you need a boat about 40 feet long to enjoy the simple pleasures.

Al, I found a picture of a Bruckman 42. A relative bargain at only a 1/2 million.

Haven't seen the new Alerion 38 yet. Its different than the 38 yawl. This is a sloop with a carbon mast, no backstay, big roachy main. (Isn't that what your Freedom has?)

Anyway, I think the Friendship 40 is the prettiest of the bunch

Slideshow

http://www.fontainedesigngroup.com/F40_slideshow/B.html

Of course she needs a big flag
    Attached Images    

Alerion

C'Pete:

I don't know what marketing whiz gave the new Alerion the exact same name as a boat they built about ten years ago. The new 38 is basically an enlarged version of the Alerion Express 28. As you noted, it has a carbon fiber mast with no backstay and a big roach main, but it does have spreaders and stays, so the diameter of the mast is a lot smaller than that of my unstayed Freedom. (I actually got to meet Garry Hoyt when I looked at the boat.)

I confess that I found all of these big, expensive day sailers a bit too much of a muchness. They were all so pretty that it is clear that showing off seems to be their principal goal (except for the J100, which looks downright plain). I saw a smaller day sailor that I did like a lot, the French Tofinou 9.5. It is expensive (c. $150K), but it actually looks like it was built for sailing.

Of course, if anyone is desparate for a lovely day sailer and wants to spend less than six figures, there's Tim Lackey's Triton-hulled Daysailor, http://www.thedaysailor.com/, a bargain at only 89,900.

And, speaking of bargains, I just bought a 1979 Dyer Dhow sailing dinghy which the owner swears has never been in the water. The Dhow is said to be one of the original fiberglass boats, the first having been built in 1946 or 1948 (I don't remember which).

Al

pretty day sailer

My vote goes to the'bridges point 24', it's a work of art to my eyes,has over 50%ballast,lots of sail erea,a beautiful sheer,nice overhangs and a functional cabin (with very limited headroom). These lil beauties have been built in Maine for approx 20yrs now by the same family and start at only $39000 with sails,bottom paint and bronze hardware!!! A real relative bargain !! Check them out at www.bridgespoint.com
    Last edited by frank durant; 10-14-2005 at 02:15 PM.

pack rat

I got looking back and in the nov.1987 (never throw out good magazines) small boat journal there is a review of 4 lil keel boats.The sea sprite was one and this bridges point24 was onother.Its the only one still built.PS...the bridges point was 'the fleetest of the fleet' in the review.

WOW sez aye let's go see...

The Bridges Point 24
    which is certainly comparable to the Commander.
    So I cursor the link Frank has for us and
    there is nothing there!
    These bittey postage stamp fotos you can't SEE.
    Not even interesting fotos.
    Are they proud of their boat?
    Is the joinery and appointments real class.....?

Do they sell many BP 24s?
    One hell of a presentation.

After years of agoogling to goggle little ships
    I've learnt NEVER to visit a 'specifications' site.
    Because there where the boat should be displayed in all its glory
    is a page of words and numbers.

The Bridges Point 24

Great little boat and it sure does track our yachts (18' in lenght at the water line!). The $39K appears to include only the bare essentials, and if I'm reading the extras list correctly, running lights are an extra.

Anyone have a recent "sail away" price list?

Ebb...they don,t care much about advertising....two brothers 'Wade and Forest( Dow not Gump)' have been doing these for years,don't want 'high production' and stress AND are booked WAY ahead.There is nothing on the new market even close in looks,design,quality/price.As you can imagine in our present boat market,the interior is rather basic.It does have cushions,4 ports,opening hatch,small galley erea,porta potty,main,jib etc.A built-in OB well is an option(bracket std)as is a Yanmar (approx $10500 I recall)You can even order a wooden deck/cabin if you want a real ole look.I simply find them beautiful and my old article states they sailed better and faster than a sea sprite 23(Alberg)a Quick step 24(Brewer) and another 24 they were testing .I'd just like to anchor it out back and look at it. $40000 ain't cheap , but there really is nothing out there close....or near as pretty in that $ range. Bill...I have a brochere from a year or two ago , if I find it (I'm sure I still have it) I'll get some option pricing.
    Last edited by frank durant; 10-15-2005 at 04:05 PM.

+ Reply to Thread