+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deck Fittings, Rebedded

Deck Fittings, Rebedded

It has been pointed out to me that over a perilously short time, every one of the magic bedding compounds, including the Poly sisters, Sulfide and Urethane, all do exactly what they promise never to do - harden, dryout, split, and fail. I know mine sure has. Just pull out your old tube of Juber from last spring; you can crush walnuts with it, right? Sure, they are Operator Sensitive, but even put on correctly, the failure rate of beddings is dismal. And then there is Butyl Tape.

This sticky, resiliant sealant comes in 30' rolls with release tape backing, and has been used for decades in the roofing, glazing, boatbuilding, and many other industries. Generally 3/4 in. wide, with thicknesses from 1/16" on up, this product has been used in hull-deck joints by several builders and supposedly after 25 years in service was still moist and tacky. It is widely used to set large glass panes in their frames, with mechanical fasteners. While it is tacky, it is not an adhesive. There are many durometers available, but the firmest is readily obtained. Common colors are black and grey, and sometimes white.

I have read several articles about Captains using butyl tape to bed deck fittings, from padeyes to winches to tracks, with excellent results, times four years. It hasn't squished out from under, or melted or crumbled. And, it is around $7.00 a roll, enough to do several Ariels.

As some of you may know, I am divorcing my faithful Ariel and have taken up with a wayward Pearson Flyer. Ok, my bad. But this new hottie needs to be properly bedded and I need help from you fine seamen - Whom among you has knowledge of rubber goods, vis a' vis butyl tape? Out with it, Scabrous Dogs.....oh man, I gotta lay off those pirate novels...

Your faithful servant,
    Capt. Dan
    Last edited by Dan Maliszewski; 12-30-2005 at 06:03 PM.
    ()-9

Flyer

Hey Dan
    One of my sailing buddies has a Flyer on Lake Champlain
    If you like Private message me and Ill pass along you email to him and vise versa

Iceman

Thanks Dan, for the tip.

"harden, dryout, split and fail" - talking about the Poly sisters "cracking walnuts" - are words that fit my feelings about my ex years ago.

There is another product that I don't know has an application aboard a sailboat that goes in the construction trades by the name of *****ethane (aka bituthane). It's an asphalt based peel and stick flashing that comes in rolls also. Maybe 1/16" thick with probably a vinyl side, bendable and sort of formable. Used wherever waterproof seal is required over any seam from roof to foundation - sticks to any material including itself like Tom tape and seals any fastening (so they say, Grace Corp.) that pierces it like nails and screws. We have it being used on the estate here to cover entire exterior plywood walls that will have a stone face.

It's also meant to stay flexible forever at all temperatures. Amateurs hate it, it takes some finesse in handling. But it is the ultimate in applied waterproofing. I chuckle the way guys unconsciously refer to it, emphasizing the first syllable.

That Flyer is a step up in spacious, but I'll bet you'll miss the sturdy Ariel!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________

I protest the starring out of the word above (*****) often used to describe the female dog. Rather stupid. Censorship like this emphasizes the offending word and actually has the opposite effect of drawing attention to the supposed bad word and making it more strong or illicit. Rediculous
    Last edited by ebb; 01-04-2006 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb
    I protest the starring out of the word above (*****) often used to describe the female dog.

I just thought you were still talking about the ex.

Hey Howard,
    Keep those photos coming on the Gallery thread!

The ex and I have a daughter in common and we've become
    'friends'
    and show some concern for our well being by keeping in touch and sometimes even eating together in public places.

Slang adds a lot of color and life to the language. That 5 star word above is entirely acceptable and legit word used by everybody in all its forms - except maybe by some obscure fundamentalist cults. This is probably the only obscure site on the world wide web that blanks it out!!!

Arrow Notice

Seems Ebb may be the censor here. Management has not edited his "****'s." YET!

B***h

***** ***** B itch
    Gee, misconceived morality corrected with a little space.
    B with an itch.
    B I T C H - there's a ***** with a lot of space.
    (When is prudery ever prudent?)

Type it in yorself!

From www.anecdotages.com
    "Though William Randolf Hearst frequently invited prominent Hollywood personalities to visit his spectacular castle (San Simeon). he always insisted upon the observation of certain rules. Despite his own scandalous relationship with Marion Davies, among the rules was a ban on sex between unmarried couples.

When Dorothy Parker (1893-1967, prominent Am writer and critic) visited and broke the rule, she received a note from her host asking her to leave. She did so, but not befor leaving a note in the castle's guest book:

Upon my honor, I saw a Madonna
    Standing in a niche,
    Above the door
    Of the famous whore
    Of a prominent son of a *****."
    Last edited by ebb; 01-05-2006 at 11:06 PM.

Who'd a thunk it....

Ebb,
    Wow, did this thread get sideways. But I guess no testimonials for butyl tape - I will be using it in my spring fitout, and will let y'all know how it goes.
    I closed on the sale of the Adele M last saturday, and am kinda stoked to get that steamy Flyer underway. But the Ariel still owns my heart.

Yes, I have used that product to which you refer. It is widely used by roofers and other scoundrels. But did you know it makes a great emergency patch for small boat hulls? At work, we sometimes use a small aluminum skiff to service piping in our channels, and awhile back one of our cherubs managed to hole the vessel, and to finish the mission we stuck a strip of that gooey stuff over the gash and viola'. And it is superb on roof flashing. But I think it is too soft for bedding.
    ()-9

B***l

Whal, ther ya go Dan.
    How bout that!
    There was/were some threads here when we were talking about mounting our large windows. There really is no hook or whatever to quickly retrieve info, if indeed there was any useful info on the subject. Except for some who have been around boats forever and those deep into remodels AND them who have an abiding closeness to their A/C's, there doesn't seem to be too many fascinated by dead light mounting options. Except you and me....

I'll look for some of those rolls you mention. I seem to remember brown butyl rolled with a paper separater. No skin. Recall that it was hard to persuade it into a tight radius but could be torn and lapped, pressing the extra thickness, more or less as flat as the strip.
    [The tape could be built up, one strip on top of another - may be useful when mounting large frames to the curved cabin. Butyl strips would be way way cleaner than tube goop. Squeezeout would be a breeze to trim with a knife!]
    Also recall a softer butyl like tape that had a fabric core that held it together better.
    Ah ah, those butylful butylful tapes of old!

Be useful if we had a photo series showing the opening ports being rebedded - for starters.
    Imco, given that fact that 338 for example was smeared literally on top and underneath of everything with silicone, some believe that the only way to stop leaks is with something out of a tube. Butyl tape is an elegant concept requiring a thoughtful approach. And a visual essay.

Wonder what bill231 will decide to do with the more dicey problems the large deadlights present?

Predominately males inhabit this site. I think males generally don't like to admit they don't know how to do something that another finds simple. If the truth was only known. So a discussion never takes off. A little disappointing that someone didn't take your tip and get the ball moving.
    Last edited by ebb; 01-07-2006 at 10:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread