+ Reply to Thread

Thread: relaxed rig

Lightbulb relaxed rig

anybody ever consider a chinese lug rig for the Ariel?

Question

A what . .

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    The translation and pronunciation of this particular term is often confused from the native Chinese (Mandarin).

"Lug rig" is more properly pronounced "Rug wig" and simply means a toupe or hairpiece.

I haven't considered using this particular item on my boat, but I'm always open to suggestions.

Yours helpfully,

Commanderpete

You mean a full battened lug like on a junk?

Blondie Hasler did it with a folkboat ages ago and
    Ariels and Folkboats are near the same size.
    I have a book on the conversion.

A couple of sailors

are out in their Ariel on the Bay and one of them falls in the cockpit (dang! shoulda used sand for the antislip!) He doesn't seem to be breathing and his eyes have rolled back in his head.

The other guy whips out his cell phone and calls 911. He gasps, "My friend is dead, what can I do?" The operator, in a soothing voice says, "Just take it easy. I cxan help. First, let's make sure he's dead."

There is a silence, then a shot is heard. The guy's voice comes back on tghe line. He says. "OK, now what?"

LO Mike!
    Seems there is a family relationship between the two, Woodn't you agree? Are you talking about Blondie's book? never seen it. I have a friend in the book business who I may ask to find me a copy. Don't really know how serious I am About this, I just wanted to find out if anyone was ever interested in putting a junk rig on an Ariel. You know, or even thought about it. Everything I've READ says it's a much less stress rig. More tuned to laid back cruising than tweeking travelers and hauling in jibsheets on oversized self-tailers. And it's old enough almost to be just as traditional as the bermudan rig. PHRFers not-with-standing.

There is a limey junk rig society one can join that puts out news letters, and has back issues available.

Blondie's Jester sank in the 1988 solo trans-Atlantic race taking green water thru the busted fore-hatch with her new captain Michael Richey aboard. Richey built a replica, racing it every year until he was interviewed by Cruising World just prior to his 80th birthday. What, 7 seven years ago, we assume he's still sailing his Jester.

Blondie, by the way, so far as I know, invented the (servo pendulum) selfsteering vane, as well as adapting a 2000 year old 'commercial' junk rig to a narrowbeam displacement and scandanavian daysailer. Befor the Ariel was conceived and born. [Blondie's first solo race was in 1960 (?)] Maybe MORC racers were inspired by Hasler's and other's exploits?

Anyway... just wondering, it warnt no emergency.

[well, it Is a leading question: With all that battened roach, what would happen to the backstay? Runners? One assumes the j-rig is more suited to a keelstep mast. Etc.] And the nagging question: why didn't the junk rig catch on? Is it really that slow?
    Last edited by ebb; 06-26-2003 at 09:52 PM.

+ Reply to Thread