+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asym on Commander or Ariel

Asym on Commander or Ariel

Anyone flying one? It's something I'd like to do, all on the cheap, of course, and would love to know what people are using for a set-up, and what they're using for a sail. I'm new to the Commander, and already love it, but I'm noticing it that it's not a light-air boat. I'd like to have this as an option.

I fly a traditional chute as an asymmetrical. it's a little wonky at the shoulders but it works.

What are you attaching the tack to? I'm actually considering converting the boom of a Laser to a makeshift bowsprit, but thought there must be much more clever ideas out there, already in use.

I attach the tack to the same clip I attach the jib tack to. I use an 18" painter? to raise it off the deck and a clip at the tack to keep it on the headstay. Works like a champ. I should have it recut but have heard it compromises the design strength so leave it alone.

Thanks, Roy -- just the info. I was looking for. I've got an old J/24 chute that would probably work just fine until I can locate the real thing. Definitely going to try that set-up.

My chute came from an O'day 27. Found it on craigslist a few years ago. Butt ugly color scheme but it is in good shape so I use it.

Check this out for flying a traditional chute. Read the details as it mentions usable for traditional chutes. http://www.westmarine.com/buy/atn--t...02_063_002_505

Ha! That's basically what you're doing when you clip to the headstay! That device just goes over a rolled headsail. Not an issue for me with my hank-on jibs. I'm going to try that setup in the next few days. I have high hopes -- thanks for the advice!

I'd like to see some pictures of your set-up for that. I have 2 spins that have never been flown. http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...5481#post15481

Hey Kyle, I've flown a J/24 chute the last two days on my Commander using Roy's suggested set-up and it's worked awesome. I don't have pics of what I rigged yet, but essentially it's a 22" line with a shackle at either end. Attach one end of that 22" line to the same attachment point you're hooking the tack of the jib to, and then attach one side of the spinnaker to the other end, which you also clip to the headstay. Essentially, all you're doing is creating an attachment point for the tack of the spinnaker on the headstay that will clear the bow pulpit. Then attach your spinnaker sheets to the other side of the spinnaker and raise it with your jib halyard, being sure, of course, that everything is run forward of the headstay. Jibe the spinnaker around the front of the headstay. The shoulders of a symmetrical get a little wonky on a tight reach, but otherwise the spinnaker looks pretty amazing and works great. I've found that taking the mainsail down completely allows for clearer air for the spinnaker, making it easier to fly, and you don't lose any boat speed.

Here's a pic of the chute flying the other day. Not sure how helpful the photo is as far as that 22" line is concerned, but at least you get the gist.

-Bob
    Attached Images  

I saw the the boat surveyor you used when you bought the boat called your sail inventory "painter's tarps." What do you call a spinnaker that mice have pissed in for 10 years, and is comprised of 1/3 sail tape, I wonder? There have to be a million old J/24 spinnakers lying around, though, waiting for someone like me to come along. If anyone on this board has a spinnaker -- asym or symmetrical -- or any hank-on headsail they'd let go cheap, do drop me a line, please.

Bob, post your sail request on the Off Topic forum. Also, check the forum for sail listings. I'll be posting a thread shortly for a long time member who no longer has an Ariel, but still has some sails and cabin cushions.

I've sailed with the symmetrical over the years- with and without the pole. Most of the time I was lazy or short handed when the pole was left on the deck. You're limited in how far downwind you can go and keep it filled. I used an adjustable down haul to allow the tack to rise when heading further downwind. Attached is the Home Depot contraption I use to hook the tack over my furled headsail. Anything that slides up and down over Dacron will work.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by Hull376; 07-13-2016 at 01:14 PM.
    Kent

Slick device. I've recently see a bunch of videos of chutes flying WITHOUT a sliding shackle or furled headsail device on the head stay but simply tacked to the bow with a 5' painter(?)

+ Reply to Thread