Ok,

I have had my Tohatsu 6hp 4 stroke for a few months now. I hate to say it, but I like the Yamaha 6 hp 2 stroke better.

I know this is a departure from the consensus. I do like the fuel use of the Tohatsu better, but that is about it.

The Tohatsu has to come out of the water for anything more then a day or two. The zinc is really really small and erodes fast.

The Yamaha is a 2 stroke so it has more thrust. I tried the pricey 'thrust prop' for the Tohatsu... it did make it back better, but it dropped the 5.2knot WOT speed to 5.0

I know, I know, it IS a sailboat. There are times though when cruising that you want hull speed. The opening bridge that opens on the hour that is between you and the anchorage you want.

I don't think I need more HP, just a better way to get it to the water. My Yamaha did that.

I would like to try the Yamaha 6hp 4 stroke.. but I doubt it would fit in an Ariel well.

The Tohatsu that I bought was ~$1450 with the charging option, and I paid another ~$115 for the thrust prop. I am sorry this is not working out for me, but wanted to post to share for others consideration.

If anyone is looking for a well cared for Tohatsu 6 with the charging option let me know. Also, if anyone has sucessfully mounted a Yamaha 6/8 4 stroke in an A/C well I would like to know of it.

Finally if anyone comes across a Yamaha 6/8 2 stoke in good shape (20" shaft) I would apprecaite your letting me know.

Thanks,