+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mast boom and sails FS.

Mast boom and sails FS.

I have the mast and boom for Ariel 198 for sale, was taken down and set in back yard. Already chased one less than good neighbor halfway down the block when he tried to snag the boom. Would like to get $200/best for the set.

Also have sails, Main, jib, 130 and a non-related sail that would work as a 150, as I remember it is a foot shorter on the hoist than the standard jib, but much longer on the foot.
    Make offers, will try to get pictures together, but accidentally packed my camera.

Prefer pick-up.

Also have most hardware from the boat, let me know what you need and I'll try to get pics of them.

Where are you?

I gather the boat is / has been scrapped?

Sadly it has been scrapped, I was willing to give her away but even free nobody wanted to get her, scrapper offered $1200 so after putting him off as long as possible, I ended up taking the offer.
    Strangely, he ended up NOT taking the flatbed it was on.

I'm in Kentwood Michigan a suburb of Grand Rapids.

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for the update. The ACYA db will be so edited.

The biggest threat to our boats is the raising value of the metals they contain and the disappearance of cheap storage. Lead is worth about five times more than a decade ago. Added up with the scrap value of the aluminum mast and assorted rigging a nice payday can be had, I don't want to give a number. Sad for us, but recycling metals has enormous benefits for the planet, keep those Chinese factories humming, ha! Really the best thing we can do is to sail our boats and promote a little subculture that values a skill and tradition than spans human history. Introduce people to sailing, it's really fun to take somebody sailing for the first time.
    Last edited by Bill; 03-30-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Finally unpacked the 'junk' boxes, pics of sails on photobucket at:

http://s1366.photobucket.com/user/wi...?sort=3&page=1

'storm' jib, 15ft luff, 11 on leach, 7 on the foot, 22 inch stinger. D (diagonal at 90 degrees on luff to clew) is 5ft
    jib 27.75 on luff, 24.25 in leach, 0.5 foot. D is 9ft.
    jib 31.5 luff, 31.16 leach, 16.8 foot, D is 15.8
    jib 30.5 luff, 30.4 leach, 17 foot, D is 16.1
    Main, didn't measure, no reef points was on roller boom.
    Main cover, red very slightly faded on to, other wise excellent condition.

All jibs have bronze piston hanks, and wire rope in luff, main has flat track slides.

All sails in very good condition, only thing that keeps me from saying excellent is a few small stains.
    Any reasonable offer.
    Shipping could be arranged, but prefer pick up either by purchaser or your agent at my house, 3.5 miles from hardy dam in Michigan. (white cloud address, but 10 miles from White cloud)

Still have main and a couple of jibs, but the new sails got turned into awnings.

+ Reply to Thread