+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tools that work & Etc.

Thumbs up Tools that work & Etc.

Just curious what tools folks on the forum highly recommend (and highly don't recommend) for boat maintenance jobs - especially you guys who have done this for a while. Tools you use alll the time and wouldn't be without, etc.

So far, these are my "big" purchases:

Cirular Saw: had it, but am adding a carbide blade with many teeth for cutting the deck skin.

Porter Cable 5" RO Sander: recommended by many folks on the Plastic Classic Forum for general purpose grinding and sanding. Mine uses the adhesive backed disks which I purchased from http://www.mcmaster.com/ which seems like a good source for just about anything.

Thanks for any and all input and pointers.
    Last edited by mbd; 11-15-2007 at 05:18 PM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Yeah, the Porter Cable is nice. I called mine "Swirly Shirley." She stopped working unfortunately. I went with the hook & loop discs and bought the discs with the holes in them which are cheaper.

Although not a substitute for proper power tools on big jobs, a cordless kit is real handy. Good for around the house too. These go on sale pretty often.

http://www.ryobitools.com/index.php/catalog/tool/p860/

No substitute for a sawzall for some jobs. Jigsaw is handy sometimes. Circular saw is OK. Not enough torque for thick wood. Little sander is good for tight corners. I thought the flashlight was silly, but I use it. The wet/dry dustbuster is junk--not much suction.

I had a ryobi cordless drill already. Its great to have two chargers and 4 batteries. Two drills too. Drill a pilot hole with one drill, pick up the other drill and drive in the screw.

I think an angle grinder is good to have also. The dust kills them. I burned out a Dewalt, then a Craftsman. My latest one is a $30 Ryobi
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 04-05-2006 at 10:44 AM.

For those of us on a strangled budget Harbor Freight (www.harborfreight.com) has lots of somewhat questionable quality / foreign tools at a very good price. The 4 inch angle grinder has lasted me some 6 years including a plumbing remodel. Things like 3/4 inch socket sets that would be hundreds elsewhere are pretty affordable.
    Cordless tools are what come in handy for myself - sanders, drill or small cir saw.

cordless portables

these portable rechargable tools are extremely useful in storm prone areas.after hurricane jeanne in '04 destroyed the marina I was in I used 18 volt ryobi porable tools to no end---from everything to repairing things ---to fabricating an excellent outboard motor mount ---to get the boat out of where it was to some 150 miles away to the next marina.

I use my cordless drill all the time. An extra battery in on my list. I'm also planning a trip to Home Depot and see what sort of cordless packs they've got. It is convenient not to have to drag a power cord around.
    Mike

I wonder how long the batteries on those little guys last though... I'm planning to do this repair on my boat's stern the coming weekend, and I guess to sand the repair area the little 'Corner Cat' sander will work.
    But when it comes to sanding the whole hull prior to repainting I guess I'll have to get a proper belt sander, or else I'll be needing a week just to sand the hull...

When I went to my local Home Depot I noticed they have many different Ryobi combos, some of them leaving out the handheld vacuum (you said above it's useless anyway for lack of suction) and the jigsaw (I don't know what to do with the thing anyway...)

I like my Royobi set, (Circ saw, Sawsall, vac, flashlight, drill, charger) Additons I made are 2 extra batteries, and the rotoziplike thing.

Seen some companies have out their Li-Ion sets, wonder if they are worth the premium?
    Last edited by tha3rdman; 04-12-2006 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Additions
    #97 "Absum!"

Thumbs up Sanders

Don't use a belt sander !
    Use an orbital sander , easier on you and the boat and the finish will look much better. Get a Porter-Cable or DeWalt and use 60 grit disks , you will need about 2 dozen for an Ariel . Change the disks often a sharp disk cuts faster .

battery charge

it depends on how hard the appliance is used.after the storms of 2004 I used these tools exclusively and intensly-- as ther was no power at the marina----and as the battery lost power the tool would loose power too.this is why more than one battery is good to have--as one wears out----use the one on the charger ---the catch 22 is -----if the power is out----how do you recharge the battery----usually a remote generator or other power supply can be and was located for this----and the portable tools transported to the job site---in my case----a destroyed marina-----what a scene---

All right!

I took your advice and bought one smaller Ryobi set, and my first impression is good - they seem handy and sturdy and designed with a lot of attention to detail. I got the $129 set at Home Depot that includes the 4 tools: drill, circular saw, detail sander and light. It comes with the charger, 2 batteries and bag. Now my fingers really start to itch!

Thanks for the advice about the sanding. Sure I get an orbital sander. Two dozen discs??? Sounds like I'll be sanding the whole day long! I've never done this at all and so have no idea how long ittakes. How can you tell if you sanded a spot enough? I would guess when it doesn't shine anymore?

I won't likely do this this weekend since the boat is outside and it's expected to rain a lot. But I'll attempt the repair on the deep dings and gouges I showed you guys in my other post. I read up on your posts about the use of poly vs. epoxy and am a little surprised that it's not a clear thing - well, not really. I start realizing that there are many ways to do the same in boating, and that's part of the fun. As somebody said in another post - if it doesn't work out, just grind it/sand it away and try again!

I got my Porter Cable 5 " RO Sander here. About $100 with shipping to Maine. The reconditioned version has the same warranty as a new one. I got 2 packs (25ea) of 60, 80, 120 and 180 of 5" Adhesive-Back Clog-Resistant Alum Oxide Discs - another $100+ . I won't be buying sanding disks for a looooong time - hopefully. In a few months I should be able to pass on what worked and what didn't.
    Mike

Smile Sanding disks

A disk might last 10 minutes before it is counter productive to keep using it .
    They don't go bad and you will need them later or inside or topside etc.
    You are looking to get an even surface , dull with no marks.
    Keep the sander flat and don't push down on the sander , if you have to push against the hull and hear a major change in rpm's ,the paper is dull and needs changing .
    Tipping the sander wears out the pad that holds the disk in place , been there done that .
    I get 25 disks for $5 so don't be cheap , you are wasting time, not saving paper.

Thanks for the tips Mike!
    Mike

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    You dont need many tools for boat work.

You want a drill and electric RO sander. Working inside its good to have a little ShopVac and a light.

Sometimes you have to do heavy stripping and grinding in preperation for new glasswork. A sander will do it, but it takes time. This is not a job you want to linger over. I prefer an angle grinder with sanding attachments. They have a rubber pad attachment that takes hook & loop pads. Even with higher grits its very ferocious and must be handled with care.

You cant reach tight spots like corners with a sander or grinder. I use attachments for a drill like wire brushes, grinding stones and the like.

Most projects can be accomplished with just these few tools.

Cutting tools are only needed if you're going to cut into the boat or work with wood. Other specialty jobs may require special tools.

But, for the most part, boat work is grunt work.

Talking Grinders

With or without cheeze?

I agree Pete, I have 3 grinders and they must be used with extreme care and the lightest touch .You can do some serious damage with a 40 grit disk on a 5" grinder in seconds ! Lots of big swirlies !

+ Reply to Thread