+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Commander #38

Nice design Michael, like the font! The Q2 is really great. Maybe I can pay or trade you to design the S-Boat's lettering someday.

Ben

Thanks Ben! I'd definitely be interested in designing the s-boat lettering, just tell me when!
    Mike E

Michael,
    Okay, give us an update! How has sailing been for you this year? What actions did you perform on your Commander when you hauled her?
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

After much deliberation I have decided to send my commander to Tim Lackey ( of http://lackeysailing.com/ ) for a recore and deck re-painting. As well as a few other repairs and restorations.

Firstly, Since last season the deck rot has spread and I did not feel it was safe to put it back in the water, atleast until the core is replaced.
    And Secondly, I recently started a new job which is much more demanding of my time which means I do not have the time to work on the boat like I used to.
    Last edited by C38; 04-27-2015 at 05:59 AM.
    Mike E

Michael,
    Thanks for the update! Your beloved Commander will be in supreme hands, having it taken care of by non other than Tim Lackey. Wow!!
    I have admired much of his work / tallent and look forward to you sharing the results with us.

When is your Commander being transported to his property up in Maine?
    Will you be going there to personnally met with him and discuss restoration details, or will you be doing it via the web, phone, etc?

When do you expect him to commence the work?

Keep us posted, and thanks again.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Chance,

Thanks! Yes, I couldnt think of a more talented individual to trust my boat with!

As of right now we have not discussed in detail what/when/how the process will unfold. I would like to go up during the early phases of the project but we will see as the time gets closer.

Right now he has penned me in his schedule for the end of the 2012 sailing season! (which was his next available time!). So I have plenty of time to plan, discuss, and finalize the exact scope of the work and what needs to be done. For now I will be spending some time on a few smaller projects and just preparing her for the big move.

I will definitely keep everyone on this forum updated with the progress!
    Mike E

Made this in Photoshop for fun. Thought I would share! It's not perfectly traced, but I think it came out alright.

View Larger Version Here: http://www.michaeleveritt.com/img/susieq.png

Last edited by C38; 02-12-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Mike E

Hey Mike,

Nice Photoshop work! I tried to send you an email through this board. Would you let me know if you get it?

-Kegan

Great logo above! That will look amazing on the transom. Nice & readable too...

[Above drawing]
    Beautiful!
    Are you taking requests for custom Colors? Hint, hint...

Thanks guys!

@ Rico - I could very easily do that! what color/combo would you like to see?

@ Kegan - Got your email, small world! I replied via email...
    Mike E

Mike

I think you did a really nice job. Are planning on framing it and hanging it in your office?

Maybe you could help me finally decide on the final paint colors for Destiny. If it's not too much trouble that is. I will shoot you an e-mail through the board please let me know if your get it.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Awesome!

How about a Gray hull, red waterline stripe, & red Commander logo on mast... just like The Mephisto Cat!
    As seen here: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...5-Mephisto-Cat

And if iy is not too much trouble - without the handrails on the cabintop....
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Rico; 02-21-2012 at 05:36 PM.

Exclamation rails

Certainly can agree that the long maybe TOO traditional handrails have an asethetic issue.

First to mind comes painting the rails same color as the cabin.
    BUT that style of rail cries out, VARNISH ME - and might look odd if painted.

That rail is a busy design and maybe just too much for that sleek unencumbered look
    where the Commander looks most trim & spiffy.

Didn't Alberg design a flat rail on pedestal feet for Cape Dory's?

Such a rail could be painted out and dissappeared on the curve of the cabin.
    It could be designed just tall enough not to catch a curled finger when grabbed.
    Imco the rail is an important safety feature that has to be there in some form.

Better yet, rails curved for grabbing, could be designed that have no peek-a-boo openings.
    They could dissappear all together because they are featureless.
    And better for bare feet bearing agaunst them when working on the roof.
    'T' rails with no scuppers, like the Cape Dory's, would be easy to make and also easy on the toes.
    (Lake Commanders with the new sheer bowsprit would imco look especially trim & stretched with "disappeared rails.")

As with awkward additions to A.'s sweet lines, for instance a dodger...if you darken the dodger color
    it will tend to be less of a feature. Painting 'flat' rails darker, perhaps gray on the white top, may de-emphasize them even further
    as the eye will more likely catch Alberg's pure curve of the cabin.

Rails make the cabin top a safer place to sit and stand, so I wouldn't disappear them altogether.
    Last edited by ebb; 02-14-2012 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rico View Post
    Awesome!

How about a Gray hull, red waterline stripe, & red Commander logo on mast... just like The Mephisto Cat!
    As seen here: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...5-Mephisto-Cat

And if iy is not too much trouble - without the handrails on the cabintop....
    Thanks!
    Rico, had some time today to whip this up for you.

Mephisto Cat!
    Name:  mc.jpg
Views: 680
Size:  18.6 KB
    Hi Res version here - http://www.everittstudios.com/img/mc_lg.png

ebb - I agree about the rails - something a bit more low profile would help to keep the clean lines of the commander in particular.
    Last edited by C38; 03-12-2012 at 02:23 PM.
    Mike E

I just saw this! How awesome - Great rendering. Thanks so much!
    - What a pretty boat!!!
    Last edited by Rico; 03-13-2012 at 07:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread