+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ariel #5

Ariel #5

looks a good cheap project for someone mid-atlantic.... the writeup gives a shout-out to "Grace":

"For a fantastic website with loads of information on these cult classics, check out www.PearsonAriel.org. Go to the Discussion page and then to the Gallery. Don't miss "Grace" by commanderpete"

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Class...spagenameZWDVW

cheers,
    bill@ariel231
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 09-27-2007 at 07:29 AM.

Trailer for #5

I was thinking that, if I could get a Commander like #5, it would be a worthwhile project. But I would need a trailer for transport and maybe later for storage too.

Does anyone know of the dimensions I need to be aware of if looking for a trailer?

Is there a one design boat whose trailer may fit a Commander without modification. A J-22? A J-24?

Thanks,

Read

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Does anyone know of the dimensions I need to be aware of if looking for a trailer?
    "Search" on trailer and ye shall be answered.

Trailer Search

Hi Bill-

I have searched on trailer and found a number of discussions. I saw the one about one owner's dimensions and a long discussion about obtaining someone's plans for fabricating a trailer.

I am aware of Triad. They make great trailers.

I just thought someone might have used a J 22 or similar boat trailer for a Commander. I thought a trailer for a one design class boat might be easier to come across.

But, at your suggestion, I will keep searching.

Thank you,

Read

Read,

A J-24 trailer probably won't have the margin you need for safe towing. A J-24 displaces 2700#, a Commander displaces nearly twice that. Your best bets are professional boat hauler or a cradle on a car carrier. Moderator Bill's book has the cradle dimensions. There are a couple examples of boats on the forum moved with the cradle and car carrier method.

A suggestion: A boat hauler can get the move done fast and safe giving you time to find or build a dedicated trailer while you get the boat ready for next season. Alternately you can get her tossed in the water and sail her on her own bottom to a boat yard near you.

cheers,
    bill@ariel231
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 09-27-2007 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    I was thinking that, if I could get a Commander like #5, it would be a worthwhile project. But I would need a trailer for transport and maybe later for storage too.
    Read, another thought. Buy a boat that already has a trailer. There happens to be a pretty decent Ariel currently for sale on this site WITH a trailer already - and for a fantastic price!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Sale Pending A-24

I didn't want to post this just yet, but so as not to get one's hopes up I must admit that there is a pending sale and the boat should be moved toward the end of October. Rest assured A-24 will be going to a nice home. More details later. Tim

I'm the current (only) bidder on number 5. As a noob to the sailing world, (I have a restored Chris Craft 38 powerboat right now), I'm hoping that this little sweetie will be a good cruiser/racer for the Chesapeake Bay. Or is this just a good heavy air boat... Anyone?

You won't be blowing the doors off any sport boats, but they are a lot of fun with a spinnaker or a genny in light air. If you want to do PHRF, you'll have a generous handicap that you should be able to beat.

good luck with your bid!

Last edited by bill@ariel231; 10-01-2007 at 08:35 AM.

she went for $560!... somebody got a bargin

Yeah, unfortunately it wasn't me.

Penokee Guest
    Thurman,

I sent you another PM and another e-mail, but I think we may not be connecting. Can you try sending to me through my username here? All you have to do is hold your mouse over my username (upper left corner of the message) and click, and you'll get some options like "send a private message to this member," and "send an e-mail to this member." Feel free to message or e-mail me.

Group: Sorry to create extra "traffic" with this message, but I wanted to talk to thurman about Commander #5 (I believe the feeling is mutual) and we're having a little bit of trouble getting connected.

Penokee

Well, it looks like I will be the new Commander #5 owner The PO, Penokee, and I came to a mutually advantageous understanding... WooHoo! Now all I have to do is figure out how to get her from Chester to Solomons (MD) on her own bottom

It won't be the first time I made the trip at least, I bought an aged Chris Craft (which I still own, of course), up in Georgetown about this time last year and motored her down the Chesapeake as well. She will most likely be my "big friend" for the voyage. Fun trip!

T
    Last edited by thurman; 10-15-2007 at 10:14 AM.

congrats.. glad to see Commander #5 has a new home!

Question Moving #5

Ok, after meeting with the Po and exchanging papers, I am now the owner of #5. My next task is to move her from her current location in Chester MD to St. Inigoes MD. It's about 100 nm. My choices (as I see them), are self moving over water or via commercial land carrier. Moving by land will cost me $1000. The boat has not been wet for several years, and the entire deck from nose to cabin is soft, so going via water through any kind of seas doesn't seem like a good idea, and it's getting late in the year to hope too much for calm seas. Anyone have a trailer in the Maryland area that they would like to rent me? Have I missed any other options?

+ Reply to Thread