+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boatyard suggestions in SFO bay area

Question Boatyard suggestions in SFO bay area

Hello.

My name is Antonio, and I am an addict. (only to old foreign cars, and old boats!)

This is my first post.

I am currently pursuing a Commander to sail in the San Francisco Bay area.

I will need to perform a bit of work on the boat I am looking to acquire,(bottom clean/ paint, and some rudder/ rudder-shaft work, etc.)

Being fairly new to the area; I would be very grateful for suggestions/insight as to which boatyards the members of the group consider to be the most reliable / affordable / most knowledgeable / and most 'Commander-friendly' in the bay. - Insight into which ones I should stay away from would also be helpful.

I will be looking to perform some of the work myself - as much as time /skill permits - but not being as familiar with these yachts, and having limited experience working with fiberglass, I would not mind having capable hands available (at reasonable rates, of course) for when I reach my limits (of skill and/or patience!)

Thank you for any insight you can provide.

Happy sailing (I can't wait!)

~A

P.S.
    -Any suggestions for other general tasks I should perform while she is out of the water?

Call around to the various yards and ask if they accept do-it-yourselfers. One Bay Area yard that encourged them in the past is Berkeley Marine Center. Their latest rates are $9/foot for haul, wash and launch and $25/day for lay days. http://www.berkeleymarine.com/

Nelson's gets high marks for quality of work, but I'm not sure about DIY.

Check out the yard advertisements in Latitude 38 for more possibilities.

+ Reply to Thread