+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bought A Pearson 26

Bought A Pearson 26

Commanderpete I still have and will sail my Commander. I bought this 1975 Pearson 26 for my brother-in-law to sail (check is in mail). It needs a new or used sail for the Hood Seafurl furler (hope I spelled that right). I was thinking that a 150 would be a good choice anyone with any thoughts? Boat will be sailed on the Chesapeake Bay mostly in light Summer wind.I am looking at Atlantic sails for either a new or good used fore sail sail for this boat plus a new hanked on 150 genoa for my Commander. How difficult is it to replace the old sail, as I have never done that on a furler?
    Attached Images  

Exclamation that not a 26

thats a pearson 27 theres one at the marina I was at

Smile P-26

Then the one in your marina could be a Pearson 26 , because Robert's boat is definately a P-26 .

The 27 has 3 windows to a side on a lower cabin and a transom hung rudder. The 27 was 1st built in '86 , Robert's is a '75 .

Take a look;

http://pearsoninfo.net/27/brochure/p27brochure1.htm
    Last edited by Mike Goodwin; 03-12-2006 at 04:53 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Nice looking boat.

From what I see, the P26 can carry a good amount of sail.

I'd probably get the 150, some days you want it. But, you spend more time with the sail partially furled.

I've looked at the prices for used sails on occasion at Bacon's and other sites. Still kinda expensive, although they're probably in good condition.

If the sail has a luff tape, you need to find out what size fits the furler, like a #6

Commanderpete I have looked at Bacon Sails and others, prices for new and used sails are off the walls, looks like I will try and find a good used sail as close to a 150 as I can for Richard. This is another tough built ol' boat compared to some of the new one's.The main is in fair/good condition, needs two slides replaced. For a 26 ft boat, the P-26 is huge compared to the Commander or the Ariel. Though our good boats are a 1,000 or so lbs. heavier. The p=26 has higher sides and a broader beam with more deck space a 22 gal water tank and a holding tank for the head and sink. I like the adjustable split back-stay.

Robert, perhaps you could snag a genny off of someone upgrading to a roller furling... for your COmmander, that is.
    Last edited by mbd; 03-15-2006 at 11:28 AM.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    In shopping for a used sail for the P26, don't rely on any published standard measurements for the luff height. Hank-on sails are longer than furling sails. Furling sails also vary. From the photo it looks like the furling drum is pretty high off the deck. Basically, you have to take your own measurements.

The height of a furling sail is important. Obviously, a sail thats too high won't work. A sail that's too short is also a problem. The halyard needs to lead to the furler at the proper angle. Otherwise you can get "halyard wrap" which will prevent the sail from furling up.

I understand you can still use a short sail, but you have to install a pennant or halyard restrainer or something.

From what Commander Pete is saying, I think I would call a local sail loft for assistance.

mbd, yeh thats an idea, if anyone has a 150 or a storm jib for sale let me know I'm looking for both. Bill we do have sail makers here, thats sound advise, better do it right the first time. I am looking foreward to sailing this summer, everything is looking good. I plan on a trip to Tangier Island about a day or two sail up the Chesapeake bay from the yard in Portsmouth. Will sail the P-26 boat it has more room a 22 gal watertank, galley and would be more comfortable for she-who-must-be-obeyed than my Commander.Its time to check and service the 6hp Nissan which I will be using for both boats. Commanderpete, still too cold up your way for sailing? weather is improving here in Virginia, should be good in a couple of weeks.

Robert,

Think you'll ever make it up to Havre de grace area, be nice to see another ariel. Maybe take a cruise around the bay, well be in a slip at the Havre de Grace Yacht sales yard, just above the rail road bridge.

-Paul

tha3rdman, last time I was in Havre De Grace was as an environmental manger for MDOT 1980 something. Nice old town, good harbor with history. Did a study for some highway project or another. I used to live in Fells Point, Baltimore and if my foggy old memory is true I had a girl friend or two there when I was in college way back when. I need more sail time for a trip that far up the Bay. My plans are to sail to Tangier Island this Fall, Leonardtown/St Marys City early next Summer, then Baltimore. After that a sailing trip up the Bay to the canal then the Delaware Bay and River to Delanco N.J. which will take me by Harvre De Grace, seems that it would be a good stop over point. I have a Commander and I'm part owner of the Pearson 26 which is better for long trips. My Commander I will use for sacking and raiding only...
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 03-27-2006 at 07:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread