+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thru Hull Transducer Question

Thru Hull Transducer Question

I have an old thru hull transducer with cable that is about 10-15 years old. It is located in the bow below the waterline. My question is, can it be used with any depth gage, are these things generic or do I have to pay big bucks for some marine electronics guy to inspect it and recommend a specific depth gage. I removed the old depth meter, which was bad and havn't the foggiest idea were I stored it for safe keeping.
    Last edited by Robert Lemasters; 10-03-2005 at 12:21 PM.

Smile probably knott

I would guess that thay are not interchangeable.however on my current boat I have a sounder that is probably 35-40 yrs old and it still works fine.an old type that has a spinning lite.suits me just fine.I would suggest on the next hard dry remove the thru hull xducer and buy a fancy liquid xtal type video display with a non thru hull type xducer.I suggest mounting it where the hull is somewhat flat.the xducers have the size and shape of a hockey puck and can be easily secured with some type of epoxy glue.also please note that I didnot have a depth sounder on starcrest.
    Last edited by eric (deceased); 10-03-2005 at 06:46 PM.

Not generic

Although almost all of the transducers are made by the same company (Airmar), they are not generic. They vary in the wave length of the sound waves used. If you can figure out what model transducer you have, you can probably find a suitable replacement display.

Thanks all for the imfo, here is a photo of the thru hull transducer located in the bow below the seat hatch in my Commander.
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread