+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Commander 131 onboard

Commander 131 onboard

Happy to report that I have just purchased Commander Hull 131. She is currently in Martha's Vinyard. I need to figure out how to get her to her berth at Ocean Beach, which is in Fire Island New York.

I would like to purchase a trailer.

She is in good shape, I think I will sail her this summer as is and then start the restroration. This forum will be a great source of knowledge.

Thanks

Jake

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Very Good!

We're gonna have 3 Commanders and 1 Ariel within about a 6 mile radius

Time for a Regatta
    Attached Images  

Doggonit, I wanna regatta too, There has to be more A/C's in the upper Chesapeake. But hey welcome to the board, or as I view it "More then I ever wanted to know, place."
    #97 "Absum!"

Lightbulb Cruise In / Regatta?

This should be posted in the events forum, but since it came up here . . .

Yesterday, after OYC's Sunday Brunch regatta, a bunch of Us SF Bay Fleeters were discussing possible plans for a sailing get together for local Ariels and Commanders. Maybe you also could plan something for next summer in your area? There seem to be plenty of boats for the fun! Maybe a race and / or raft up in the middle of the Chesapeake?

If you are a paid up member, you got a copy of the roster last Summer [includes E-mails], so you would be able to contact most every yacht in your area.

Just a suggestion . . .

Adieu Francine

Congratulations Jake and Adieu Francine.

She's a great boat and has shown me and my family the best of times over 21 seasons. Take care of her and she'll take care of you. Long may she sail.

MRH
    MRH

compass placement

I am going to install a compass and a Garmin 440 Chart plotter which will also work as the depth sounder. I want to install them both in the cockpit on the bulkhead that is on the port side of the companion way. I will cut out a hole in the bulkhead for the compass and mount the chart plotter on a bracket. I want to mount both the chart plotter and compass on the port side, because I will be running the halyards on the starboard side ( I am right handed). My question is how close can the compass to the chart plotter without getting magnetic deviation.
    Any comments or suggestions regarding my proposed layout will be welcomed.

Any comments or suggestions regarding my proposed layout will be welcomed.
    I know that when you install your compass you will need to twist the red and black wires that power the light in the compass to keep those from creating a deviation. If the GPS cable is sheathed you won't be able to do that.

Have you considered a swing out mount for the GPS that would allow you to swing it into view in the companionway while sailing and back into the cabin at the end of the day where it is protected from weather and devious people?

I wouldn't worry about the GPS interfering with the compass (it's low amp stuff). a bigger problem is if there are speaker magnets or steel near the compass (i.e.things like a VHF with a built in speaker or old paint cans in the ice-box).

a consideration for the GPS install you might want to consider is the timeframe in which it will be obsolete and ready for replacement and upgrade. While Nav components like compasses can last for the life of the boat, I generally plan for electronics to be in service for no more than 4-5 years. For that reason i went with a chart plotter on a swing arm (simpler future upgrade with no changes to cut-outs....)

here is my mounting solution:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...t=a-231&page=4

cheers:
    bill@ariel231

ps: you may also want to look at installing a small opening hatch on the bulkhead and mounting the plotter on the Ice Box. It would be protected from the elements but operable from the cockpit....
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 10-10-2008 at 10:43 AM.

Furler for Commander 131

I have replaced the rotted deck, awgriped the hull and painted her deck. Initially I was going to continue to sail with the hanked on jib. Now that the deck is repainted, the stem piece rechromed I am concerned that the flopping around of the jib as I take it off and on will damage the newly painted deck and wear off the new chrome job on my stem piece. Is my concern well founded?

What are the current recommendations for a furler? Which one, price and how long it will take to install?

Thank you.

PS hope to have photos up in next two weeks

Jake -

Eagerly awaiting photos. Please post if you have a chance.
    MRH

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Hey Jake

Looking forward to those pictures too.

I think the deck paint will be fine

People debate hanks vs. furler all the time on the internet. One factor nobody talks about is your existing sail inventory. If you have a selection of good headsails, there is less reason to switch.

A 135 genoa is a nice size for a furling sail, since we're blessed with good wind around here. Converting a hank-on sail would require adding a luff tape and suncover. Unless the sail is in great shape, it might be throwing good money after bad.

The CDI Flexible furlers seem to be much less expensive than Harken, Schaefer, Profurl, etc. I don't know if anybody around here has one.

Commander 131

After much delay we are making some progress on Commander 131 currently named FRANCINE. The boatyard had moved the boat outside for 2 weeks but forgot to hook up the hoses to the scubbers. As a result I had water about 6 to 8 inches above the floorboards in the hull for about a month. I just found out today and pumped it out. Can I expect permenant damage? How long until the wood dries out
    Attached Images

Well... i have seen worse situations turned around with a thorough cleaning with hose and shop-vac. The best follow-thru will probably include a dehumidifier running below decks for a week or so.
    she looks great on the outside, the inside will get there. good luck!

Commander

Bill

Thanks for the encouraging words. I hope she dries out nicley.

Bill's right. A good scrubbing with some clean water will help a lot. Open every hatch inside and give it some time to air out. If you can't get up to see her more frequently than every couple of weeks you may have to resort to a box fan instead of a dehumidifier unless the yard is willing to empty the collection pan. Scupper drain hoses, drain the humidifier....I don't know...do you think they can?

+ Reply to Thread