+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Mast step discussions

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Mast step saga

The plywood mast step on my boat was a bit delaminated so I figured I would replace it

I had one milled out of solid teak following the plan in the Manual (p. 166). The factory drawing is for a step 1" thick at the front, tapering to 13/16" at the back. It's basically flat.

The project didn't turn out as hoped for two reasons:

a) I probably should have used plywood since the solid teak developed a crack;

b) The old mast step was about 3/4" thicker in the front than the new one. This small difference meant that my furler adjustment had to be lengthened. But, even with the furler and backstay maxed out, my furler is still a little loose.

I'm starting to think the Ariel and Commander had different mast steps. The few pictures I've seen of other boats show an Ariel with a flat mast step and the Commander with one that is thicker (about 1 3/4" in the front tapering to 3/4" in the back)

Perhaps the Commander mast was supposed to be raked back a little to account for some difference in weight distribution on the boats.

I'm thinking of going back to the old mast step, coating it with epoxy and cloth and then painting it.

Can anyone tell me what their mast step looks like? Flat or thick in the front?

I have some pictures but I'm having trouble posting them (file too large)
    Last edited by Bill; 08-20-2006 at 10:29 PM.

Mast step

I replaced mine with solid mahogany in93,never have had any problems,I still have the old one .Do you want a picture?It will be a few days if you want one.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    maybe this will work
    Attached Images  

Here's another view of the two mast steps side by side, showing the back side
    Attached Images  

Steve,

I believe I saw on one of your pictures that your mast step is basically flat.

I'm wondering if they used a different step on the Commander, or possibly they changed the design for both boats at one point. The factory drawing in the Manual has no date on it.

Either that or my boat was a special one design "Tall Rig" model

Mast step

I tried to blow up a good shot of my mast step but could not.After I had the solid mahogany step made I soaked it in water for a few days,it was flat too ,I then screwed it down in place and let the sun beat on it all winter.The wet soft wood bends.It contoured to the deck,then I sealed it up with varnish before I resteped the mast.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 03-12-2002 at 11:28 AM.

hmmmm....that was a good idea. I tried to sand the bottom so it fit the camber of the deck. Not sure why it cracked, maybe it was those two coins I put under the step for luck. l used two coins for extra luck.

The crack probably wouldnt bother me if it weren't for the rigging problem.

I had bedded the step down with 3M 4200 figuring it would be there permanently. It almost was :Ugh:

Here's a top view
    Attached Images  

Mast step

I have been wanting to take my mast down and reseal the leak that is happening there. I kept forgetting to check the manuel about the rigging tighting.Since I'm here my question is 1. what are you guys using to set the torque if at all? Claw foot on a torque wrench? 2. Is this a two or more person operation?

Rig adjustment

I just stick a screw driver in the turnbuckle and turn it,check the tension with a tension gage.Just do it evenly .

A bit of caution here. Use 2 screwdrivers -- one for the turnbuckle barrel and one for the toggle. Hold the toggel and twist the barrel to adjust. Otherwise, you may twist the shroud. Not recommended

mast step

Thanks for the info.

So is this mast heavy that it needs more than two people? It seems like it would be a bit much for one.
    So two to lift and one to secure? or...?

Mast

I had mine removed by the yard with a lift,but I did move it around alone,its not heavy but ackward.I helped put a mast back on a Alberg 30 with 3 people and a rigged up hoist.I dont think I would atempt this alone,not that its hard but its easy for it to get away from you.I would use at least 3.Is your rigging original,you might want to replace it while the mast is off.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 03-14-2002 at 09:29 AM.

Smile

Ah, the old mast R&R! We did that -- once. On the Pacific Coast, masts remain stepped for years and years, so it's really an occasion when one is taken down.

In our case, the removal was no big deal. The marina had a hoist that was (at low tide) positioned high enough to get a strap around the mast just below the spreaders. Getting the mast back was the real challenge. It took four -- maybe five -- of us in what appeard to the casual viewer to be a true Chinese Fire Drill;p

That was about 16 years ago. I now use a rigger to replace the shrouds. He just climbs the mast, measures the shrouds, has the new ones cut and then replaces them one at a time without the mast being stepped off the boat. All I need to do is write the check

Mast

We on the east coast leave our mast on also,we just pull our boats for the winter due to the snow and the water freezing.I only took mine off to replace the mast step,install a pvc wire harness,rewire the mast and replace the shrouds.

Mast step

Commanderpete,have you gotten your mast step taken care of? You left us hanging on this one. By the way have you finished the interior yet?I want to see your fancey curtains.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 04-27-2002 at 07:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread