Thread: Commander #65 "Lucky Dawg"

Threaded View

In all of my new-parent free time....

Projects in the hopper - I'm at about 60% on the skill-cluelessness coefficients for all of them:
    • re-glassing the hole I drilled in the keel at haul-out
      (this one I understand pretty completely)
    • electric and manual bilge pump system
      (I have some drawings and have read a lot here about this. I'm investigating how the actual pump stays secure at the bottom of the bilge. Cutting any holes in the boat makes me nervous. Cutting the holes before I splash seems to make more safety-sense. Wish me luck)
    • sealing leaky cabin windows
      (I am certain that the fix for this is on these pages. The dribbling leaks continually threaten my dashing interior cushions with mold and that isn't good.)
    • fixing the two spots pictured in post #33 http://pearsonariel.org/discussion/s...8&postcount=33
      (I am a little leery on grinding/sanding these - but looking at others' overhauls points out the fact that anything can be repaired with fiberglass work. How deep, how wide, how to rematch, etc. Again the answer is here or in Don Casey literature on the shelf. The crazing evident in the pictures is fairly widespread. I'll need to figure out if that is a repainting issue or a sand the whole deck issue...)
    • wiring upgrades
      (greater battery capacity, hardwired GPS, stereo, etc. AA batteries are a pain and not very environmentally sensitive. I ordered Casey's electrical systems book over the winter, but it doesn't address outboard systems - clearly anyway. I imagine I can interpolate battery issues for inboards to outboard uses.)
    I am only telling you this for some external accountability to get busy! So, I am setting about making a project-completion plan and reading lots of old posts.

(p.s. After all this time, I just noticed that there is a spell-check option here. Mark Twain said something along the lines of "I can't respect a man who can't spell any word at least three different ways." Mr. Twain would have a lot of respect for me.)
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 04-03-2008 at 06:39 PM.