+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Installing an Outboard on Transome?

Installing an Outboard on Transome?

Hi- I'm considering buying a Pearson Ariel. The boat is in decent shape but has some softness on the foredeck (which the current owner, a friend of mine, has promised to repair) and an unreliable Atomic 4 engine. Since I intend to use the boat with my wife and our two young boys ( 3 & 5 yr olds) a reliable motor is important and I'm considering swithing to an outboard. I'm curious to know if anyone else has made the switch, and their comments on the performance as well as any thoughts or suggestions on the best way to install it (I'd prefer the stern mount since its seems easier and would get us out sailing sooner!). Thanks for your help!

I'd look for a small, 10 to 12 hp diesel since you already have the setup for inboard .
    A transom mount for the Ariel is not that handy and will require re-inforcing the transom to take the weight . If you go transom mnt., you will want electric start and remote controls too.

Search Button

For safety reasons, we advise against transom mounted outboard engines. Use the search function and enter outboard, transome, etc., to read the very extensive postings on outboard engines.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    No easy solution.

We know that there are quite a few boats with transom hung outboards. I wish somebody would let us know how its working out for them.

It would be one thing if you already owned a suitable outboard. If not, buying a decent engine and bracket won't be cheap.

Rebuilding the A4 would seem to make the most sense.

Repowering with a diesel could easily cost more than the boat is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by commanderpete
    Rebuilding the A4 would seem to make the most sense.
    Moyer Marine is considered the source for all things A4. www.moyermarine.com You can even send him the engine for rebuild.

I've purchased running Yanmars for under 2 grand, as cheap as $1200 for the 8hp. Race boats turning crusier , wants bigger diesel , thats where you find them.

Transom Mount Outboard

My commander has a transom mounted 8hp evinrude. Almost lost it last Sunday. When leaving Dana Point harbor there is alway turbulance at the mouth of the harbor (usually due to the 40' power boats). The waves appear to come from all directions, one wave stripped the outboard off the bracket while my buddy was controlling the throttle. He almost went overboard trying to hold the motor at about 1/4 throttle. The engine lift is now jammed in the down position. I think my next step will be to remove it, & lose it in the drink. -My personal recommendation for outboards is to use the motor well.

Dangerous Placement

Sean's experience underlines your Association's position that outboards NOT be placed on the transom. We had a similar, and more dangerous, occurance here on the SF Bay in the mid 1980's.

+ Reply to Thread