+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Stewards of Commander 191

New Stewards of Commander 191

After 3 years of waiting, Blue Moon (C191) has finally landed in the hands of stewards who wish to restore her to former glory. She is a bit of a forlorn lady at present but we plan on changing that in the coming months. I had given up on ever owning her and just 2 weeks prior purchased P26 #1766 with my boat pard and friend to knock about in. When I saw the ad for Blue Moon on Craig's List, I was so disappointed, but my pard said "let's go look at it" and the rest is history. The P26 is in pretty good shape so we will be able to concentrate Blue Moon before too long. The first order of business will be to haul out and determine why she appears to be rudderless. There is no resistance when the tiller is swung. The dock where she lived had terrible exposure to stormy weather and I think that's what did in the rudder. We will be on the forum a lot in the future as we tackle the many issues Blue Moon needs to have addressed. The posts I have seen so far offer a wealth of information and we know that this will be a huge help. We are in New Bern, NC and sail on the Neuse River and the Pamlico Sound. Our immediate plan is to get her sailworthy for the season and then get to serious work in the off season.

Proud new owners pappy and viking

Welcome aboard Pappy and Viking

I look forward to pictures of Blue Moon as soon as you can post them. I am currently in the midst of my restoration but mine incorporated some major changes so it's taking a lot longer than I want. You are lucky that you have another boat to sail during the restoration. And a friend to help with the work. I look forward to your posts.
    JERRY CARPENTER - C147
    A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited enthusiam.

Thanks Jerry. We will post some pics soon. I know how the timeline on these projects have a tendency to lengthen. You always find more than you bargained for! Good luck with C147. Pappy

Welcome PAPPY, There is a member named Chance who is doing a pretty extensive refit of a Commander in eastern NC somewhere, he may have all of the original rudder parts that may be usable enough for your project Commander. he replaced everything in the rudder system on his boat, it may worth contacting him on this. search : CELI or Chance. Good Luck

Thanks for the welcome, carl291. I will definitely try to touch base with Chance. I appreciate the tip!

+ Reply to Thread