+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Meridian vs. Ariel

Meridian vs. Ariel

Hi All,

The last "Good Old Boat" magazine has a picture of the Rhodes designed Meridian 26. She looks so like the Ariel that I want to know more? Alberg vs. Rhodes. Was the time just right for this design? Was one following the other's lead? Which design came first? Anybody know?
    Ted Mahavier

Hi Ted -

Some good friends of mine have that boat, I *think* - but it might only be a 24, I know it is a Rhodes design - see a few pics here:

"Tehani"

The two boats are very similar looking, but I know "Tehani" has 12" LESS beam than my Ariel. There are some other things which differ but aren't apparent - IIRC, CJ has to remove the tiller to take out his outboard, things like that.

Tehani is a late 50's/early 60's boat, so I think the design may predate the Ariel by a couple of years, I am not positive of that though.

They are well built, well sailing boats, I know that Charlie and Laura love how "Tehani" behaves under the press of canvas. They both post over at sailFar, and are *very* nice folks, I'm sure they would love to talk about their boat with you. They live in Texas, too, at Magnolia Beach.

Last edited by epiphany; 01-22-2006 at 06:28 AM.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Those are beautiful pix. Apparently the first model was 24' but she was stretched to 25'7" and beamier in later renditions. It appears she became more 'Ariel-like' as she grew!
    Ted Mahavier

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    A friend of mine has a 1964 Dutch built Rhodes Meridian.

Sails very nicely. The narrower beam does make her more tender than our boats.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by commanderpete; 01-22-2006 at 08:15 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    The bronze hardware is really nice.

I understand the later Seafarers built in America are quite different

Art shot
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread