+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Plastimo Manual bilge pump

Plastimo Manual bilge pump

I know somebody here has installed one of these in their cockpit.
    I just got one from Defender. Haven't mounted it.
    But have tested its action.

You pull the sliding handle up and pull the lid away from its closed position.
    Inside the pump has a large rubber diaphragm. Pumping happens by moving the lid in and out with the handle.

My air 'test' out of the box seems not ot produce a big enough stroke to get the number of gallons it promises. To close the pump requires a strong push against something inside the diaphragm. I'm thinking the hard-to-close aspect is to keep your knuckles from getting crunched on the bulkhead if it was allowed to close when stroking. But the safety feature seems too far out from closed - and it seems to rob the pumping action of a full stroke as it really pulls against the rubber of the diaphragm.

If I really got into desparate water removal the rubber would be really stressed and either pull out or break.

Anybody used this pump?
    I have the 1038 1 1/2" hose model.
    Haven't found anybody talking about this French hand pump.
    Defender evidently doesn't stock spares like the diaphragm.
    The cover is listed as a spare part in the manual. So I'm wondering if they also become a casualty with frantic pumping.

Has anybilgepumper found anything odd about the pumping action of this BOMBA DE ACHIQUE?
    Last edited by ebb; 06-02-2009 at 11:11 PM.

I had one in the cockpit of Revival and found it worked OK. Not sure if it would pump 'as promised' but don't remember being dissapointed when I used it. I put one on my electra as well but haven't used it yet.

Me too...

I have one in Faith's cockpit as well. I like the fact that the handle is built into it. I like that it sits there waiting, without being in the way. I like that it was easy to install.

I have only used it to test it, I generally fill my tanks, and then fill the bilge. I let my low capacity pump cycle a couple of times. (Attwood 750) then switch it off and allow the water to rise until my Rule 2000 gold trips on (not fun since it is also rigged to a bilge alarm that makes one heck of a racket).

Then once it turns off I pump a few gallons with the plastimo to make sure it is still doing what I want it to.

I find the action 'dry' to feel strange, I think the diaphragm kinda folds in on it's self and have noticed the same thing you mention. However my experience with it while pumping is that this is not a distraction. I can take short strokes (with handle going half way in and back to full opem) and it pumps water in quick spurts. I can also move the handle throught the entire travel to pump more water.

I do not think I have a good picture of it, but I know there is a picture of Franks aboard Revival. Mine is located in about the same place he had his. Stbd side, fwd cocpit well. I made sure mine was mounted high enough to operate without pinching your fingers between the cockpit and the handle. (I am sure you will have thought that through though).

Maybe not as fancy as those dual action ultra expensive manual pumps but I would buy another one... and apparently Frank feels the same way.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

La Bomba gets a reprieve

THANKS guys, I was almost sending it back.
    It's a very plastic thingy.
    Has the shape of a mini toilet seat lid!*
    I too was sold on the idea that the pump is ready to go. That's its main selling point imco.
    My copy requires a 5 1/2" hole (saw) in the cockpit well wall - also.

It's a heavy molding. Looks like the white plastic body could be PVC. The flange facing the mounting blkhd is grooved as if to help hold tube caulk in place. Around the edge of the part that goes in the hole has what looks like a perfect groove for an O-ring that would be right at the rim if the hole was drilled slightly less diameter. We'll see about that. I like to complicate things - as you know.

But an O-ring would hold the fixture slightly off the bulkhd, thereby creating a caulk-line for the polyether I would like to try. On the thin cockpit wall it will pay to have a permanent flexible adhesive caulk. I've used LifeSeal but I don't really trust its stickability. 3M's polyether advertises its adhesive quality.

Wonder if the $20 marine stuff is actually better than the $5 roofers stuff? Rhetorical question.
    Thanks!
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
    * If you will have a cockpit shower, Plastimo makes a couple very similar designed blkhd fixtures. Coordinate your stylish cockpit conveniences!
    Last edited by ebb; 06-02-2009 at 06:12 AM.

I also have one in the cockpit of the Potter and have one to be installed into the Ariel. It too has not been tested under "real time conditions" (thank goodness). I figure it is cheap insurance that is readily available no matter how perfectly it performs.
    1965 Ariel #331

'MARIAH'

ebb

Wouldn't this be a good place for butyl tape?

mounting the bloody pump

Absolutely correct.
    The way I feel about wet rubber, butyl does appear to be the way to go!

The reason why tube rubber really won't work is:
    The surface of the base plate is not flat but consists of narrow continuous 1/8" wide ridges bordering 1/8" deep hollows.
    At the top and bottom of the base plate the hollows are quite wide, empty. Weird, actually.
    Then there's the "O-ring groove" which is exactly next to the hole thru the bulkhead. That is, the groove is right next to the body that protrudes into the hole. The sides of the base plate of this sculptural thingy is pared down to a 1/8" ridge and the O-ring groove. It sculpts down to a 1/8" bearing surface at the sides. That's no meat for any waterproofing.
    Don't know what to think.

I know this requires a picture. Sorry about my labored description.

BUT there is in fact very little surface area for any gasket-like material, on top of the 1//8" ridges.
    The narrow ridges would squeeze any fairly soft tape flat and the grooves would swallow up the non bearing parts of the tape
    AND the pieces of tape might even be LOOSE in the hollows not doing anything.

[Who's to say you can't FILL in the depressions in the base plate by pressing in butyl tape, it's like sticky clay really. Then add another layer covering the ridges to get it nice and flat. Squeeze it hard against the bulkhead
    - lo and behold a big smootchy gasket!!!]
    Has to be the cheapest and easiest way.

Butyl tape is not really a real gasket material. I think that when the pump is cinched up with the four #10 machine screws the sharp edged corners of the ridges will just cookie cutter right through the butyl dough. Like it will with tube caulk.

The pump should have come with a custom rubber foam gasket. The deep grooves and hollows would be perfect for holding the gasket in place - if the sharpness of the ridges could be ignored by the gasket material. If necessary the bearing surface of the gasket could be dressed with tube butyl. This gasket doesn't exist to my knowledge.

Can't imagine what material the French have in mind for mounting the Plastimo?
    Kind of like the winch base problem: "Hey it's not OUR problem."

SO, that's why only a fairly large amount of wet rubber seems to be the way the French do it.
    It's easy to get a perfect custom 5 1/2" ID 1/8" O-ring. Knowing do-it-the-hard-way-ebb will custom the hole to barely fit the pump body and use the circular groove to seat an O-ring to get a positive "gasket" seal right where it's needed.
    McMasterCarr (possibly Dash 254 - EPDM - ten for $9.31) With just the O-ring around the hole maybe the pump can be mounted DRY, no tube rubber at all!
    There are no hints in the multilingual NOTICE D'UTILISATION on adding this obvious extra insurance. Or using butyl tape as the bedding compound,

so many choices - so little time.

Gonna go BUTYL.
    If it doesn't work THEN weld it on! The depressions in the base will keep the butyl in place and might even help make a decent pad - altho as far as waterproofing goes the almost zero bearing sides of the pump seems to be a problem.

The hose connections are suspended 5" into the locker. That makes the hoses in the way of things. Bet its a joy getting the hose clamps on. BUT, guess the pump could be mounted where the locker lid opens? Open the locker, there's the pump. Really in the way - BUT TOTAL ACCESS.
    Any tips here, guys???
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
    Certainly a big plus is that on the lid of this Plastimo - which is 8 1/2" X 6" wide - there was ample room to plaster the brand name. But all it says is "PUMP" and the model number with a small molded in hallmark.
    Last edited by ebb; 06-10-2009 at 07:23 AM.

Talking

Has the shape of a mini toilet seat lid!*

I have, on a couple of occasions, had people ask me if it were some new type of throttle control... but never a toilet seat.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread