+ Reply to Thread

Thread: outboards operating in reverse

outboards operating in reverse

I currently own a Pearson Ensign- great boat, and am thinking of buying a Commander. After reading the various posts under outboards, I'm trying to determine two things: how much can you turn the outboard in the well when operating in reverse (probably depends on the size of the motor) and does the lazarette always just fill up with water when operating in reverse?
    Thanks, John Hirschler

To answer your first question, I can turn an 8 HP Johnson Sailmaster enough to manage in-and-outs of the slip in reverse with some caution. The motor head sits above the well and rotates as much as I'd ever want it to. However, Commanders just don't do well stern first. After a number of entertaining events I finally devoted an hour one day to practicing. There is a not so subtle relationship between the outboard and that huge rudder that requires a bit of mastery. Most often, keep the rudder straight, steer with the outboard and don't even think of tight corners or close approaches involving fixed or fiberglass objects. You can use the rudder also but above a crawl there will be lots of torque on the tiller that can surprise you. With a crosswind I never let go the last line until I get under power going forward even if they means an almost 300 degree turn. A Commander is designed to follow its nose, not its tail.

To answer your second question I've never had water in the laz when in reverse. I only take water heeled over in rough waters having a great time.

Just buy the boat, you'll figure it all out.

re:outboard in reverse

Hello Skipperjer:
    Thanks for your reply. What about when you're done sailing-can you tilt the motor up and lock it in place so the lower unit and prop are not always in the water??

Nope!
    Check your back, flex your biceps and haul it out of the well unless you chose to paint it with anti-fouling paint. There is no room to tilt it. I've seen some photos on the web of boats that have been modified to allow for tilting but I've always figured the boat designer was smarter than I am. If that's the way it was built I'm not going to mess with it.

Somebody came up with a plan for bagging the motor in the water with an old sailbag and flushing the bag with fresh water to protect from fouling. I don't know if that works yet but I'm going to try it. An 8 horse Sailmaster is a bear to pull out. Keep hunting the messages here. This group also has a plan for a davit system just for motor removal.

My monster motor came with the boat. Another Commander owner I sail with uses a much smaller 4 HP motor and does quite well with it. Its much easier to haul and stow for racing and when the boat is parked. It gets him in and out of the slip just as well. I may be looking for a trade next season but so far I've made my peace with the beast.

the bag in the water

We have a 6hp nissan and a commander. we can get the motor to go sideways if we want. but in reverse we only use the tiller.

we also have a bag we made to go under the motor we then pump the water out. and refill with fresh..

grass all over the bag, but nothing inside..works great!! I'll post some pictures soon...

outboard & jib sheet lead

Hello again:
    Is it possible to operate the outboard through the opening just aft of the tiller or do you always need to have the lazarette open if you want to use the outboard tiller to help steer the boat?
    Also if you want to sail with a small jib can you lead the sheets so that they sheet to tracks on top of the cabin with cam cleats? Thanks JH

1- The lazarette hatch can be closed when operating the engine - IF you have a way to remove the exhaust gases. Otherwise, the engine chokes.

2- Working jib track needs to be on the deck just off the forward large window. Sheets then run directly aft to the winches where they can be wrapped on a cleat, held by a self tailer or run through a clam cleat.

Click on the "search" button above and search on "jib track" "outboard" etc, etc. There has been extensive discussion and photos on these subjects.

+ Reply to Thread