+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Masthead sheave space

Masthead sheave space

Hey guys,

I have to replace my broken main halyard, and will get the new one later today. I'm worried that I won't be able to thread the splice (between the rope and the wire part) through at the top of the mast. Do you know how much space is there? Are there bolts one could open to widen the gap if necessary?
    Will be on the crane this evening and I hope I won't have an unpleasant surprise...

Stephan

"Are there bolts one could open to widen the gap if necessary?" not really. The bolt that holds the stays also acts as the axle for the main sheave. The mast extrusion is quite stiff.

I'm running an all rope halyard with 3/8th inch line. I haven't seen a wire halyard for 10 years... there are lots of semi exotic fibers out there that are easier to work with.
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 05-22-2007 at 10:11 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Its a good sized slot up there, should be able to get the splice in no problem

Thanks Commander Pete. The guy at West Marine has done the splice to the wire portion already, and the wire part has the shackle attached already. I didn't know the wire was so old, but the guy who spliced it said it looks good. They are still selling mixed halyards there, so I didn't even think there was anything unusual about it.
    I'm happy to hear that you think there will be enough space. I'll head to the harbor now, the weather is gorgeous.

Everything went well. As you said, there is plenty space up there and the splice went through it nicely. The main sheave was actually so hard to turn, I wonder if the halyard was just sliding over it. After lubricating it, raising the main is much easier than before.
    Attached Images  

Awesome picture!! I would have been chanting "I trust my crane operator. I trust my crane operator..."

My dear crane operator was sipping beers and complaining I wasn't fast enough. In hindsight I must say I was more than a little lucky...

+ Reply to Thread