+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 5hp 2-strokes - comments on how they've been working?

5hp 2-strokes - comments on how they've been working?

I am, for the first time ever, the owner of an outboard engine. I worked a swap deal, trading some website design and hosting for a lightly run '01 Mercury 5hp 2-stroke (pic below). The engine is in great shape (has probably less than 50 hours on it), and I know that some people use 5's on their Ariels. Of course, I'd rather have a 6-8hp (pretty swift tides here), perhaps the Nissan so many of you love , but the Ariel *is* a sailboat, and it's not like waiting onboard a couple hours more for lessening tides will bug me a lot. Keeping this engine would save me enough money, probably, to buy an opening port, or more.

Never having owned an outboard, I am learning as much as possible about their care, feeding, and capabilities. I know the first thing I need to do: get the Merc 6"-pitch prop. ( http://tinyurl.com/5w7en ). Anyone know what the "diffuser ring" they refer to in the description is? (Text: 8 3/8 X 6 RH Alum 3 BL High Thrust. To accommodate specialized requirements, this prop design does not utilize a diffuser ring. ). I have no idea what that is about.

Anyway, I would love to hear from 5hp O/B owners how that size engine has been working for them on the Ariel, especially if it is a Merc 5.

I did a "Search" before posting this question, and read all the info available regarding O/b's and Ariels - lots of it! Good stuff, all. Thanks!

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    I had a problem with the throttle arm on a Merc 8 h.p. many years back.

The arm wouldn't swivel back, and was too tall to get the hatch closed.

The arm on your engine might be shorter.

Looks like a clean machine.

We are the proud owners of a 1996 (?) 5hp Merc. Works fine and I did install the power prop. Early on we had a start problem that related to the kill switch deciding it should always kill the engine. These things are noisey, and because the 5hp is a single cylinder there is a bit of vibration. Big upside is the low weight.

Crew would like me to get a 6hp 4-cycle so they can talk . . .

C'pete - I am not sure if it will fit dimension wise (not yet having the measurements), but based on the fact that an 8 will fit, I am assuming it will to. The arm does fold all the way back, so that's a help.

Bill - Aye, she does have a wee bit of vibration. And noise. And smoke. Can't beat the price, tho', the weight *is* agreeable, and once I get a proper prop, I suspect she'll do fine. She's 5 more hp than the Pardeys had on Serrafyn. Seems to be about as noisy as the Universal M2-12 which lurks (un-sound-insulated and quite noisily) belowdecks on my CP23, so I may not notice much of a difference. I singlehand, mostly, with only the CrewDogs to complain - and I do more complainin' about them than they do about me. They know the Captain is a tyrant and a scoundrel.

That's Buffett staring at the camera, and Molly sleeping 'tween foredeck watches. We were all hanging out below as Hurricane Charley passed over us in our small creek hidey hole.

I had good luck with one

I had a Nissan 5 HP LS on my Commander. Your Merc is the same engine. Mine had the standard prop, rather than the high thrust prop, but the long shaft helped helped keep the prop in the water. It moved my Commander to hull speed in most conditions on the Chesapeake. I chose the lower weight over the quiet of the 4 stroke. In fact, I didn't sell the engine when I sold the boat, so if there's anyone out there who would like to buy a Nissan 5 HP LS with fewer than 25 hours on it (10 of them breaking it in in a garbage can), I can give you a pretty good deal.

+ Reply to Thread