+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Masts!?!

Masts!?!

Thanks to everyone for their input on the dodger issue. As someone once wrote a while back on this forum, '...good stuff here.' We've got some new lines drawn and they've grown on me such that it's time to get out the foamcore, cardboard and tape so we can see what it looks like in three dimensions. Still want to see more pics of Houdini's bimini and dodger. Sounds like an ideal spot for a late afternoon cocktail. Steve has/had a nice set-up on Sirroco but he's seemed to vanished. Gene sez yes, Theis sez no and Ebb....Ebb's coloring outside the lines and that's allright by me. But the real question here is....
    The big stick!
    Do we all use the slides on our crafts? Anyone here been so adventurous to 'put a groove on' (been dying to say that) or maybe a track and cars? The other boats in my past have all had grooves and slugs and never gave me any problems. I don't know what to expect for perfomance from this set up. Obviously they must work or there would be some mention of it before now. Anybody have horror stories about sticky slides? How about accolades of the remarkable engineering behind them? How about words of caution regarding changing, like 'why would you drill 300 new holes in you mast?'

Attached Images  

Well , I'll bite.
    A little bees wax on the slides goes a long way to smooth out hoisting and dousing the main .

I favor slides over slugs , unless they are escargot ( but let's not get started on that French thing again ). I have had a lot of slugs break and get jammed in the groove .

I race on a Olsen 25 , ex-SF Bay boat Next Day Air , that has a groove and just a boltrope, no slugs . Very efficient but a pain when it is all on the boom, deck and in the water .

A full batten main with cars would be the way to go if you want a upgrade over the old system . Putting one on an Ariel is the same as any other boat, $$$$$ .

I think it would be more like 120 holes in the mast !

Mike
    Good to have your input! I really like the idea of a full batten main on cars. Conjurs up visions of smoooooth action. I am a bit leary to put any more holes in this mast. It allready has a bunch of holes in it from what looks like tangs for a fractioal rig of maybe running backstays. Makes me think this might not be the original mast. The sheave looks just like the manual and the mast head has the numbers 113 scribed in it but I guess one could do that to any mast. I'd hate to take the slide off and find all sorts of additional holes hidden behind it. I'm assuming that one can only put so many holes in the surface before it is weakened considerably. That's probably not a big deal for you guys on the coast because you can find a spar in everybody's back yard, around here it'd be a big PIA. The other concern I have regarding a change over is the fact that 113's main has only three seasons on it and I don't think I could justify springing for a new one. Bee's wax eh?

Another option is the retrofit track slide by Strong/Tides Marine. It fits over your existing track and is easily owner-installed with no additional mast fastenings (or so I understand).

Tides Marine

I hear great things about these, though I've never actually experienced one in use. Not exactly cheap, but less than some of the alternatives.

Tim

I have experienced the Strong system. A friend has it on his 60 foot ocean racer, with a fully battened main and it seems to work great. His boat is really pushing the design limits of the system, according to his sailmaker, but it has worked well for him. Much nicer than his old system with slides.

Nathan
    Nathan
    Dasein, Triton 668
    www.dasein668.com

Ah-HA!! We've flushed some sleepers out This Strong system is starting to look good. I've requested some detailed information on the hardware and some prices for comparison to the other systems offered out there. One question I have regarding the Harken system, and maybe someone here can answere, is do you have to feed the battcars (remember the bat mobile?) onto their bearing retainers/shippers to remove your main? Now that I think about it there must be a pin involved somewhere-I'll have to look at some more pictures. Tony G

oooo-aahhh!

I recieved the information package from Tides Marine the other day. Looks like decent product and is priced CONSIDERABLY less than the Harken system. They include five measuring discs in the package for determining which track shape is necessary for your mast (about 35 options!). The track is made from UHMW-PE and can be shipped in seamless lengths up to 65 feet. Cost is less than $30 a foot INCLUDING hardware. Does not mention sail modifications which I am particularly interested in.

+ Reply to Thread