+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buzzards bay cruise

Buzzards bay cruise

Just back from a 'small boat' sailing adventure on Buzzards Bay erea.Left from Fairhaven across Buzzards Bay to Quissett Hbr,then to Hadley Hbr(wealthy erea)..on to Vineyard Haven/Lagoon Pond (nice boats through out cruise)..then to Cutty Hunk and back to FairHaven.Would have stayed longer but bad winds forcast with more rain so we thought we'd call it a cruise.Nice erea,beautiful homes..large and small...with a lot of cedar shake siding.Many beautiful yachts,again both large and small.Would like to go back.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 09-03-2006 at 12:58 PM.

small boat raft-up
    Attached Images  

boat shop at Quissett hbr
    Attached Images  

Many pretty anchorages with a wide variety of yachts and homes
    Attached Images  

back at the ramp in Fairhaven
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 09-03-2006 at 12:58 PM.

Cuttyhunk is a nice hbr
    Attached Images  

Hey Frank, are you cruising in your Suncat or giving the Flicka some excercise? Personally, I'd love to see many pictures of both. (Feel free to email them to me offline if Bill would rather not have you cluttering up the forum with "other" boats. )

I'd also like to hear about characteristics or features you prefer or dislike in comparison to 'Revival'. Yours is a unique perspective with all the different boats you handle. I'd be crurious to hear how our Ariels stack up - realistically - to other small crusiers.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I won't have the Flicka down south until mid november.I am having a hoot trailorsailing these lil boats around !! Good group of guys...lots of fun and adventures....see a lot of new places.I solo sail a lot in the winter,so I find it a nice treat to sail with a likeminded group of 'minimalist' sailors.Little boats are fun...period.As to the Ariel.......I can not imagine a finer sailing boat for her size.Fairly shallow draft,great motion and stability and faster than I expected....actually a bomb on a reach!! And did I mention PRETTY ?? I will always have a real soft spot for an Ariel (#50 specifically) I expect the Flicka to be more mobile and cheaper to store(trailor)..nicer under power with a much longer range (diesel) and comfortable/safe off shore for her size.I do not expect the speed of Revival.

Frank, you ARE sailing!

Great photos
    and ditto Mike, if it's ok with Bill:
    All pics of small
    and smaller
    boats would totally good.
    Right here!
    Including yer flikaroonie.

Ebb/Mike....here's one from last winter's cruise on the (Ebb's name) 'flickaroonie'.Rather than post more pics, I'll post a link to Flicka friends once the article on the cruise is finished. Last years was THEE best tour yet.Eastern Abacos are just beautiful!! This pic is at HopeTown in Elbow Cay.I won't 'clutter up' this fine site with 'other boats' but hopefully will help motivate some ariel owners to get out there ....they are GREAT boats..exellent sailors and fine lil cruisers.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by frank durant; 04-06-2007 at 05:55 PM.

The ways and byways of small boat sailing is infinitely interesting. Navagation, jigs, tricks, gear, and drink recipes. All is one, and any one is All!

Sure would be nice to see some Ariel cruising pics posted...come on group...some nice Ariels at anchor or sailing by some nice scenery.

Here's the link to last years cruise http://www.flicka20.com/ff/ff_12_01.pdf The trailersailing gang (ole farts club) are off to the North Channel on june 9th for a couple of weeks. I hope to sail at least one with them.
    Last edited by frank durant; 05-30-2007 at 09:34 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Great report Frank. Thanks.

I'll have some cruising stories for you this year.

This I vow.

Nothing too dramatic (I hope)

I'll be waiting...take lots of pics ;-) fair winds

+ Reply to Thread