+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Window templates? (replacing windows)

Window templates? (replacing windows)

So my windows leak and I want to replace them with bronzed plexiglass. My frames appear to be in really good shape so I plan on just replacing the glass itself. I think the bronzed glass will look really sharp not to mention cut down on a little heat and add some daytime privacy.

So I thought if I had a template on paper of the two windows I can have the plexiglass cut before I install them, or I could take a window out and trace it onto paper or cardboard. Am I going about this the wrong way? What is easiest?

Also I don't have a band saw so I will be probably be shipping them back home to someone I know that is willing to cut them out or I could find someone local.

It seems as though all of the hardware on the windows was removed and the glass was siliconed around 10 years ago. So I am hoping this will be really easy to do after I get the new glass pre-cut. I was planning on using butyl tape on the new install, any thoughts on this?

And on top of it all I am still seeking reasonable replacements for my forward windows.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Dulce et Decorum Est

Dan

i have had luck removing just one inner frame to get access to the port light glass for a pattern. you may also want to trace the inner edge of the frame before dissassembly. you would then want to add 3/8ths or so all around. you'll likely find the lexan or plexi is easy to trim to finished size with an angle grinder or belt sander with 100 grit paper.

When you take the old frames out, you may find the toughest challenge is removing the stainless fasteners from the aluminum frame. when i first removed mine, it took some light oil and patience (and the usual boatyard vernacular for removing stuck fasteners).

cheers,
    bill@ariel231

this thread may have some helpful hints from A231 Bronze portlight frame install:
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...rtlights/page2

as will tim lackey's glissando pages:
    http://www.triton381.com/projects/re...ortlights.html
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 07-06-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Search first

Thanks Bill. Another reason we ask everyone to "search before posting" . . .

I did use the search function as always. The search function here is never useful or relevant to what I need to find.

Thanks for the advice, ill probably remove one frame to get a trace. I'm still guessing that butyl tape would be an excellent sealant for the window application?

Thanks,
    Dan
    Dulce et Decorum Est

I have no first hand experience with butyl tape but it looks like Ebb has a thread on the topic:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ght=portlights.

as for the small port lights, i found it was possible to replace the plexi while the frames were still in place. there is a retaining ring that is a main to remove (very small screws). on "Periwinkle", this ring failed on removal and i just glued new plexi in place and added a gasket. the small ports have been functioning and in service for 10 years in that form.

Quote Originally Posted by ariel417 View Post
    I did use the search function as always. The search function here is never useful or relevant to what I need to find.
    I agree, so try the Google search method outlined in post #2 here:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...-POSTING-GUIDE

I've been talking with Robert at Historical Arts - present owner (maybe singular in that status, or there may be others) of the old castings mentioned somewhere in these posts. He just quoted me $150 per - $1200 for 8! - bronze frames. I'm guessing aluminum would be cheaper? My window frames have a number of cracks and are leaky as all get-out. I clearly stink at window installation - this is my second try.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
    Robert at Historical Arts just quoted me $150 per - $1200 for 8! - bronze frames. I'm guessing aluminum would be cheaper?
    Last I heard, Historical Arts only worked in bronze. Unfortunately, custom is always expensive.

As I recall, someone once said they were having their Ariel aluminum frames welded, but I do not remember hearing the outcome (nor anything else about it). If welding works, that could be a real inexpensive fix.

Friend who owns a steel fabricating company offered his welding services for my broken frame. Unfortunately the material proved difficult for them to work with. Just not what they are used to welding. Outcomes were not great - primarily just one of my 8 frames is in poor condition. Hate to look a gift horse in the mouth, but...

Anyone have an extra?? Anyone ever locate an aftermarket option for a 17 3/4" x 5 1/4" (7/8") oblong portlight?

p.s. I gave Robert the list from post #25 in this "Original Pearson Hardware" thread: (http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...2317#post12317) and he said he would get back to me on other parts as the info is available.
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 07-15-2013 at 10:50 PM.

I fixed the cracks in my aluminum window frames by using my AC TIG welder. Wasn't hard to do and came out nice. Try finding a precision metal fabricating shop to get this kind of work done. The pricing of getting new bronze frames cast seems quite fair. I don't think getting them cast in aluminum will save you much money, and the bronze looks very nice on the boat. The way to go is to find someone whose is parting out a Triton and get the bronze frames from them.

Next time, I'll send them to you! The one they did the most work on is slightly distorted and will have to do in the short term. I think knowing the material that I am asking someone to work on - better than they do... in some respects - might be a good precursor to positive outcomes. Lesson learned.

Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully my salon frames will come off in one piece. Projects are slow going between work and all. I just spent 15 days on the hook.
    Today I hauled anchor and there was a massive danfourth and chain rode attached to it! My anchor was fouled and I never knew. I now have a nice free backup anchor.

As for my forward dolphin eyes opening ports, mine are heavily corroded and one actually leaks. I am seeking a suitable replacment. I would love some cast bronze ones but I'm not certain what the future holds for them.

Dan
    Dulce et Decorum Est

good luck with your aluminum frames. if they don't work out, you may want to talk to Roger Winiarski at bristol bronze. I saved cash on the frames for A-231 by getting raw castings and finishing them myself. He may also be able to do them for you in aluminum.

+ Reply to Thread