+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HELP...need measurements

HELP...need measurements

I purchased #50 "on the hard" in NY and just had her shipped to Florida.I will go down again in late november to do renovations and install dodger etc.I was able to take all measurements needed but 3, as the mast was not up.Could some one with their boat rigged give me these measurements ... 1- distance from center of hatch to lower edge of boom ,vertically, with the boom horizontal and the hatch slid open. 2- the distance from the aft of the mast to the aft of the boom 3-the distance from the aft of the mast..horizontally under the boom to the rear stay (shroud) with the boom in the horizontal position. Advice ?? the rudder is solid where it sits in it"s "shoe" but there is slight play ...say 1/16th or 3/32nd inch or so where it comes out of it"s "sleeve" @ the waterline.....is this a concern or just minor ? My reciept says 1965 but I think I read some where they sold 60 the first year ...making this a 1962 ??? Any "experts" ? Any one with history on # 50 would be appreciated. Beautiful boat...soon to have a more cruiser friendly interior. Frank

Frank,

I wish I could help you with the measurments. Unfortunately, our mast is lying next to the building that houses our beloved, striped boat. As a matter of fact, those are some measurments I was interested in a couple of months ago.

One thing I know for sure is Ariel #113 was a 1963 model. I know, not really the numbers that matter most right now.

There was/is a thread here that has some measurments of a dodger. Try doing a search. It was The Great Houdini's cover, I recall.

Tony G

p. s. Post pics

I'm no expert, but I have #42, and was told that it was built in 1963???
    I'm planning on going down to the boat in the morning and will get the measurements for you for your dodger.
    I have "play" in my tiller also, and am not sure what to do about it.
    Will let you know,
    Gravey

Lots of information on this site about rudders, rudder play etc if you do a search. A little play is normal and not much concern if all the parts are sound. A lot of play isn't normal and means a thorough inspection of the whole assembly. The rudder shoes are getting old on these boats and they do wear out.
    Have fun.
    Tom

thanks for now. I"m not very computer "handy", so I just figured out how to do a search....WOW..there is a LOT of info on this sight.I will post pictures when I figure out how ( or ask the admiral to help ) # 50 is in overall great shape. I am Canadian...I have always loved Alberg designs but did not know about and had never seen an Ariel . Love at first sight !! I will be modifying the interior with a large top load ice chest- fillers to make the settees into a double bunk and will use 1/2 of the V-berth for storage shelves etc. The boat will be Bahama bound by mid January with luck. Again any one with history on #50 ???? and is #50 a 1962,63,64 or 65??

Since #76 is a 1962 produced boat . . . I would have to say that #50 is also.

Frank,

I came up with following measurements, but you might want to verify them.
    1- 23 1/4" from the bottom edge of the horizontal boom to the center of
    the open hatch.
    2- 12'4" from the aft side of the mast to the aft edge of the boom.
    3- 13'8" from the aft side of the mast to the backstay.
    Hope that helps.

Thanks Gravey I appreciate your time. You won"t believe this ( I don"t ) but the sail shop misplaced my measurements I sent them. Is it possible for me to fax you a picture of 2 other easy measements I need that you could post ?? If that is possible in the next 2 weeks or so I would be very thankful.They are hard to discribe but EASY with a picture.Let me know if that would work for you. Thanks again Gravey....Frank #50 ( I hate being this far from the boat ! )

Thanks again Gravey....the sail shop just called to say they had found my measurements...so I was able to give the only ones I did not have from your reply..THANKS !!

+ Reply to Thread