+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interior drawings via GIMP

Interior drawings via GIMP

Here's the method behind my madness. It isn't the best way, I'm sure, and it's not a complete tutorial by any stretch, but it might help get you started. If you don't want to draw with electrons, feel free to print what I've done and just draw on that.

These images should be at a 640x480 resolution - I apologize for the extra 40 pixels, if anyone objects I can go back and resize them all to scrunch them down a bit. Reason for that width is that 640 prints really well on a standard sheet of paper.

I used the GIMP (GIMP stands for Gnu Image Manipulation Program) to do all of the graphics manipulation. The GIMP is totally free, and works under Linux, MacOSX, or windows. It is commonly compared to Photoshop, but is better, if for no other reason than it's price***, IMO. Download instructions for the program can be found here: The GIMP . OK, on with the show -

This is TonyG's original picture that I used as a baseline image to establish the lines of the Ariel interior. BTW - Nice shape on that cutout, Tony!

*** If you get the GIMP and like it and use it, then maybe sometime you should consider a small donation to help the GIMP developers - $1, $5, $10 or more, if you find the program to be handy enough. It would be cheap at $50. Photoshop would cost you several hundred dollars. Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the developers at all, and this is definitely *not* a paid endorsement. I just think this is a great program, and computer wizards need to eat, too.

Next, I did a series of tracings of lines inside of the boat to establish the major features. I made the black lines as a separate "layer", so that I could overlay them onto later drawing to check the accuracy of what I was doing. Note: This drawing is saved as a "transparent" .gif file. It shows only the lines I drew, and will allow the background of what it is placed on top of to show through (in this case, the background color of the Ariel Forum).

Then I cleaned that drawing up. I removed some "artifacts" (odd bits and pieces), and some non-essential information. I also had drawn in my raised settee berths, and added a couple blue dashes to establish a centerline for a reference.

After that, I just used straight thin black lines to establish more detail.

...and then dropped in some shades of gray to give it a bit more "solid" look.

After the above, it was just time-consuming detail work to get it to a point I was happy with. I did some shading stuff to give the cabinets a look of depth, put on the slat fronts that I plan to use, that sort of thing.

And this is as far as I got - far enough for me.

I'll be happy to answer any questions or give anyone help who wants to try this sort of thing. I'm no guru, but am getting better at it.

Also, here's some of the thinking going on behind what I have designed so far.

Raising the settee berths about 6-8" (to v-berth level) will bring them up above the design waterline by a bit. I can then make separate watertight locker spaces into/under them, which would be sealable - handy in case of (heaven forbid) a hull breach at sea. I've measured this in an Ariel, and that much of a raise allows one to see out of the deadlights while seated, but still with plenty of headroom, and not too big of a stretch to the sole (I'm 5' 9").

The kinda-funky-looking "doors" on the cabinetry is actually a shelving material made with wood slats. The stuff is pre-assembled, can be bought finished or unfinished, in varying widths (7" to 20") and lengths (12" to 48"). I like the idea of using it instead of solid wood or caned doors becuase it allows a lot of ventilation, and allows viewing of the objects within a storage space without having to open the door. Heck, I can rationalize that it might save some weight, too (but I doubt it ).

The strbd side cabinet has space under it because I will have storage down to bunk level in the area of the current icebox, and so need to extend that berth a bit for legroom when lying down. On the port side, I left the space under open in case I need to stow things longer than the berth ahead (oars, whisker pole, etc...).

I'm not positive that this is where I am going to go, design-wise, but it is nice to see what I have been thinking about doing. Obviously there are some engineering issues that would need to be addressed making an interior like this - primarily the strongback/bulkhead and it's reinforcement as regards the mast. Also, I do plan to move chainplates to the outside of the hull, a la Geoff's Aussie Wonder. That borders on Heresy to some of y'all I know, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks, in my opinion of course.
    Last edited by epiphany; 02-23-2005 at 08:46 AM.

"Bring out the Gimp!"... I've been resisting quoting that, but just can't hold back any longer. Sorry...

Great stuff! Thanks Commodore Kurt!

The wooden slat shelving material:.....where do you get that?
    I put some of it in for shelves in my house, and when I went back to get more, they didn't have it
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII

Did you get the shelves from Lowes? They used to have them, but stopped carrying them a few months back from what I heard from a Lowes salesperson. Bummer, it was white oak, finished clear, and a 8'L x 18"w shelf was under $30. That was what I had originally planned on using. Went to Lowes a week or so ago, and no luck.

Googling found this place, which has a suitable replacement. I haven't looked really hard elsewhere. Wish I could find that product which Lowes carried tho'.

Shelf Expressions.com
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

Thumbs up Katie Marie's interior

Capt Kurt,
    Aside from your wonderful artwork, really impressive tool, your interior is absolutely right on. Might I ask what you intend for the portside you've left low in what looks like the original settee height and position? Perhaps the galley?

Being a large person, I've found it nearly impossible to find enough length to plan in for sleeping. Or enough width for two, should that be an option. Even thought of an athwartship layout. Need 7 feet! I can 'see' a pullout from the highside to make the double - unless it is the low side you'ld pull out for that purpose?

I'm going to work in a 1/2 dinette or chart table also in the 6" UP because for night time sailing being able to lean on something and look out the windows is imperitive. Like counting lighthouse becons along a pitch black coast. I feel more comfortable being able to look out the window sailing or not! And I'ld rather sit than stoop. Raising the horizontals makes for important stowage, too. Your design does that and keeps the interior of the Ariel from looking stuffed. Can easily see that in your drawing. Course we'll see when all the carpentry, cushions, and gear are in!

You (and the Gimp) have also opened another hatch (of opportunity) for a new owner or someone new out there thinking of buying an Ariel to imagine how to renovate these exceptional older boats. You're making it more certain that the A/Cs will continue to sail on into another four decades.

Please give us s'more! Especially your aft view!

Just visited Peter Baumgartner's Cape Dory 27 site http://www.pbaumgartner.com
    It is an extensive restoration that generated a book from Capt. P. The site opens with a rear view of the boat as found. I am jealous of the extra volume that the CD27 has - but still and forever, Ariel's butt looks like Marilyn's next to the Mae West or Monika of the CD27! M m m m m m!
    Last edited by ebb; 02-24-2005 at 06:14 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    He almost makes it sound easy

Oy
    Attached Images  

Howdy mr ebb -

Thank you for the compliments on my rudimentary illustrations. I see what you mean - the drawing does give the impression or port being a bit lower, I think due to the lower cabinet I drew there. I plan, though, to have both sides at the same height, and above the waterline. The cabinetry I've sketched in is just a rough idea of what it will look like, for my brain to grasp in an attempt to see if what I *think* might actually be a possibility. Because I know what I was thinking when I drew it, it's easy to see how it might look different to someone not having my warped and addled mind. I do hope that what I've done might help and/or inspire someone else to renovate and rebuild one of these grand ladies. Just like TonyG's foundation picture and the inspirational work of people like you and Aussie Geoff have helped me.

Keeping in mind that I'm a singlehander, and in the last 3 years on my Com-Pac I had overnighters stay belowdecks maybe 3 times, my thinking on the interior is completely self-serving. Although I will be able to have a guest if the occasion arises, what I'm planning is with that as a far secondary consideration. If it ever happens, well, where there's a will, there's a way. If a guest became a long-term guest, sleeping athwartships at anchor is a very viable possibility. At sea, only one person would be sleeping at a time, so hot-bunking would suffice. I think c_amos sleeps athwartships with his Admiral, maybe he'll toss in some discussion and experience on that. OK, on to explaining design thoughts a little better -

The cabinets hung under the sidedecks will be more or less identical on both sides. The cabinets below them will differ. Starboard I plan to use that as my primary bunk, so there the lower cabinets will be farther outboard (and necessarily smaller). To port, the settee will be just a sitty, a small place for a visitor (should I have one) to plop their buns. I can put in a larger cabinet behind in that position because of that.

I intend to go long distances, so I want (need) stowage, stowage, and more stowage, because (yep) - I'll need to carry lots of stores. The Com-Pac taught me that being able to organize and access said in an easy manner makes shipboard life much better. After 3 years on her, and with her default design, I was just getting to a point where I had a system that worked well with her arrangement. The stowage on that CP23 was all below-berth (newer models have additional cabinets above), and while that is OK, it is far from being efficient. I'm thinking that this will be more of a 2-tier arrangement, with the seldom used things (tools, spares, out of season clothing, backups) all going belowberth, and having plenty of space above that is easily accessible for things used daily or weekly, and for food. I don't plan to have every square inch of her stuffed with supplies, just lots of separate areas to put what I will have.

I've only begun thinking on the arrangement for the after part of the cabin, and my thoughts there tend towards "wait and see", because experience teaches best. Right now, I don't think I'll be changing it much. Perhaps drawers under the port side for galley supplies. No fancy arrangements for cooking - I'm fairly "primitive" when it comes to my food needs, I think coffee qualifies as it's own food group. Although I *really* enjoyed '53 Lafite Rothschild when I had it (it was a bit better than the '53 Margeaux), I won't be carrying that sort of beverage nor preparing the kinds of meals it deserves. My sailing food habits reflect my backpacking and kayaking food habits - quick, easy to prepare, but tasty is just fine. So there will be a spice rack, at least.

Single burner stove (probably a backpacking multi-fuel version, mounted), with a Bakepacker oven if I want to get fancy and make some bread or a cake. I'll also have a gimballed setup for cooking while at sea. No reefer or cold-plate, I don't think - I'll use ice while it lasts, and plan accordingly for when it's gone. I may install a Peltier-type cooling system on the icebox to extend storage time, but which can run off of solar. If I do that, it will be on the top, on it's own removeable piece of lid, with an identically shaped piece of plain insulated lid, so that I can keep the box as efficient as possible if it is not in use.

As far as water, current thoughts run towards 3 tanks with a total of 75 gallons or so. I could live lavishly for a month+ on that amount. One tank each side under the settees, hard up against the inner wall, and maybe a third small tank just forward of the main bulkhead, raising the sole under the forward hatch. I need to do some calculating on sizes etc to see how that will work out, but my objective is to keep the weight low and in as far as possible, as close to the CG as possible. If possible, I'm going to avoid having any thru-hulls below waterline. I'd like to have seawater at the sink for dishwashing, but may accomplish that with a small tank that gets pumped into every few days via a hose dropped over the side.
    sailFar.net

C'pete -

You almost have your camouflage scheme complete, but I can still tell that there is a boat there.
    sailFar.net

renovation/innovation

Excellent, excellent. Keep us apprised. There are a certain number here who want to go a'roaming and there are others who will be inspired. Dialog will help keep me, for sure, from 'reinventing the wheel.' And seeing an error befor it gets cast in epoxy.

All well and good: the waterline at anchor -
    but where is highwater mark when on your ear at sea?

+ Reply to Thread