+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pearson Ariel Keel-bolts?

Pearson Ariel Keel-bolts?

[SIZE=2]Hello list,
    I have a 1966 Pearson Ariel (hull# 432) and am hoping someone on this list can answer a question I have regarding the construction of its keel.
    I had assumed that my boat had a bolted-on keel, and wanted to examine the condition of the keel-bolts. Upon inspection of the bilge, however, I was unable to find anything that looked like keel-bolts. The only thing I found were a few eye-bolts, and that leads me to wonder whether or not my Pearson Ariel has a keel that is integral to the hull. Furthermore, while the boat was on the hard, I found no evidence of a joint between the hull and keel; it appears to be a single unit construction.
    I did find an article in a back issue of Practical Sailor, which mentioned that the Pearson 30 had a keel which was integral to the hull, so is it possible that my Pearson Ariel is similarly constructed? Any light you folks can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Alan
    [/SIZE]

Alan

No keel bolts here. The hull is a single part molding with the ballast dropped in after the hull and keel were fabricated. If you do a search on keel voids you will find some photos of the ballast in the keel void (http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...highlight=void).

another view of the ballast in the keel is shown below (from A-231's galley page). You can see the ballast and the thickness of the fiberglass that bears the weight of the 2500#'s of lead:

Cheers,
    Bill
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 03-11-2008 at 01:50 PM.

here's the one factory photo i've seen of a Pearson hull awaiting the addition of a lead keel. In this case an ensign:
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 03-11-2008 at 02:07 PM.

Be thankful...

One (of the many) things that make the Ariel / Commander SUPERIOR to more contemporary designs is the lack of keel bolts.... Much stronger, less prone to failure..... I can tell you from personal experience that these keels are TOUGH.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

photos at #3 - thanks bill

K R I M I N E E !
    It looks like a coal mine disaster!

Or maybe the poor souls opened one of the doors to hell
    and they just managed to prop it closed again.

My estimation of Pearson just rose another 100 points.
    How could ANY pretty boat come outa THAT?
    Last edited by ebb; 03-13-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Thanks for these responses, guys. I sure am relieved to hear that Pearson Ariels don't have a bolt-on keel. I guess my uncertainty about whether or not my Pearson Ariel had an integral keel or not stems from the fact that the later Pearson 26 models had bolt-on keels. See the following Pearson web site to read about the ordeal of a P-26 owner's attempts to fix his keel.
    http://dan.pfeiffer.net/p26/boatindex.htm
    Alan

It's long after this thread was created, but... After owning Ariel #75 for three years now and sailing her in Pacific swells, one question always comes up in my mind when she's being kicked around a bit: what happens to all that lead if she gets rolled 180 degrees? (I don't plan on letting that happen - but who does?)

Is it only a little epoxy in the bilge that keeps the ballast in the keel? And if so, what keeps it from breaking loose -- turning it into a cannon ball that punches through the cabin top (with maybe me in the way)? She'll turtle and sink quick if that ever happens. Not that I'd care if I'm riding to the bottom under more than a ton of lead.

Can someone ease my anxiety on that point? Please tell me that there's something besides a thin layer of epoxy and and maybe a little urethane foam keeping the lead in the keel when the boat's inverted.
    Last edited by pbryant; 07-02-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Not likely the boat would stay inverted long enough for that to happen. All that lead will be pulling the boat upright, assuming it was able to get upside down in the first place. Then too, the lead is encapsulated in the epoxy which would restrain any movement. The loose lead pigs in the bilge (outboard models) are another matter, but I don't believe there is enough room from the bottom of the bilge to the sole for them to reach escape velocity should the boat be inverted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Not likely the boat would stay inverted long enough for that to happen. All that lead will be pulling the boat upright, assuming it was able to get upside down in the first place. Then too, the lead is encapsulated in the epoxy which would restrain any movement. The loose lead pigs in the bilge (outboard models) are another matter, but I don't believe there is enough room from the bottom of the bilge to the sole for them to reach escape velocity should the boat be inverted.
    Thanks for your reply Bill.

The boat only has to be inverted 1 millisecond for bad things to happen if they are going to, and only 600 milliseconds for the ballast to fall from the bilge to the cabin top. The boat only has to roll past 90 degrees for the ballast to be asserting its weight in the opposite direction.

I wouldn't trust the sole to restrain two 250 pound lead pigs (in outboard models). 3/4 inch plywood can only do so much, and that's assuming it's bonded really well.

The ton+ of lead isn't completely encapsulated by epoxy since there's an intentional gap between the keel and the lead to allow for thermal expansion (some Ariels have that gap filled with foam - no structural strength there). If the lead gets loose - it will no longer be pulling the boat right side up, instead it'll be resting on the top of the cabin (now the bottom of the boat) and my mast will be a really long keel.

Any boat can get rolled in a breaking wave, some easier than others, but any boat can be rolled when the wave height of a wave taken head on is more than 55% the length of the boat on deck - about 15 feet for the Ariel. A breaking wave taken beam on has a rotational component that can roll a yacht over. Particularly if the wave height is the same or greater than the vessel's beam (only 8 feet for the Ariel) when broadside to the waves. It was in 15 foot cross-seas swells with a period of 6 seconds south of Pigeon Point one day that the thought of ballast-turned-cannonball first occurred to me. I believe it was while I was floating weightless in the cabin waiting for the boat to make a big splash when it returned to the surface.

How thick is that epoxy? I'd need at least two feet to feel at all comfortable.

Has anyone ever rolled an Ariel and survived?

I'm planning a cruise offshore, and I still don't have a warm feeling here...
    Last edited by pbryant; 07-03-2013 at 09:34 AM.

Ok, so now you need to speak with Carl, or Ted, or some other naval architect. There are no reports of an Ariel or Commander rolling.

Ariels and Commanders have cruised off shore to Hawaii, Greece, Mexico and Northern Europe. A Commander's sail from Los Angles to the Med - via the Pacific - documented in an book by Zoltan Gurhko(SP). The August or September 2001 Cruising World and the March 2002 Good Old Boat had brief accounts by Zoltan. Here are some threads that may be of interest:

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...k&daysprune=-1

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ighlight=Uhuru

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...om-of-our-keel
    Last edited by Bill; 07-07-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks Bill. I'm considering entering the 2014 Transpac to Hawaii, and while I have great confidence in my Ariel, I need to know if she will continue to float if she ever does get rolled.

I'm commissioning my boat now, while following the old adage pertaining to seaworthiness: "Think simple, think strong, think upside down." I'm sure the Ariel satisfies two out of three, but the third point leaves me uncertain.

Boats with bolt-on keels are vulnerable to losing the keel - and instantly capsizing (which has happened several times). Boats with integral ballast can be vulnerable to having that ballast break loose in a capsize - destroying the boat and crushing anyone who is in the way - if the designers didn't build in sufficient strength to retain the ballast in an inverted attitude. Prudent seamanship dictates I know my vessel's vulnerabilities.

Maybe an Ariel has never been rolled, but two Space Shuttles had never had an "O" ring failure or ice punch a hole in a wing... until they did. "It hasn't happened, so it won't" logic can get a skipper in real trouble.

Murphy's Law says that I need to know if the lead falls out of the keel.
    Last edited by pbryant; 07-03-2013 at 09:08 AM.

When i restored A-231 in the late 90's i removed and replaced a significant amount of glass above and below the ballast. I also found there is a significant amount of polyester resin poured over and around the lead ballast by Pearson during the original construction. it was clear there is significantly more holding the ballast in place than just the skin of the bilge.

as for testing to destruction... thankfully i haven't seen an ariel or commander broken up but i have seen a couple tritons and an ensign broken up after hurricane damage. in all these cases, the ballast was the last piece of the boat to separate from the hull.

cheers,
    Bill@ariel231

I have a shallow bilge. I have been aboard something like a dozen Ariel's, and there are several I have seen that appear to have their lead ballast encapsulated in fiberglass just like Faith does. She did Also have the lead pigs (since disposed of) but they were screwed down with heavy cleats that would not have been likely to break in a rollover.

Search the forum, look at the pictures of the bilge on various boats. If yours is not encapsulated, do whatever you need to do to sleep better at night.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Read " Heavy Weather Sailing " by Coles if you're going out there. As I understand it, the encapsulated keel can be expensive if you run it into the rocks at speed - there goes the hull. Think about your boat as a ping pong ball in the water. You have the bridge deck, the hatch closed and a gallon of brandy. Thus, you can weather any storm.

Quote Originally Posted by sinbin View Post
    Read " Heavy Weather Sailing " by Coles if you're going out there. As I understand it, the encapsulated keel can be expensive if you run it into the rocks at speed - there goes the hull. Think about your boat as a ping pong ball in the water. You have the bridge deck, the hatch closed and a gallon of brandy. Thus, you can weather any storm.
    Good suggestion! I've already read it cover-to-cover. I've found myself in nasty conditions only once: On Sunday, November 4, 2012, I planned a sail from Pillar Point Harbor at Half Moon Bay, CA to Santa Cruz. The Marine Weather Statement called for winds 10 to 20 knots, 3 to 5 foot windwaves, and 7 foot swells at 15 seconds. Certainly well within the Ariel's capabilities and my own comfort range.

On rounding the Pigeon Point Lighthouse southeast bound, the winds started to build. By 3:30 PM, I was measuring 30 knots gusting to 34 knots at the masthead and I'd taken in my last reef of mainsail. Sailing downwind, I was making a speed over ground of 6 to 8 knots -- in a boat with a hull speed of 5.8 knots. The windwaves began developing, the swell tightened to 8 seconds. The swells were out of the west, while the windwaves were out of the north. Cross seas, combining randomly to 12 to 15 feet. In the troughs, I was seeing crests close aboard as high as the spreaders. Because of the cross seas, no point of sail was completely effective at keeping the seas from striking the boat abeam. The seas would occasionally combine to produce towering surges with sharp sides that looked like small volcanoes. A few times, my Ariel was launched airborne atop one of these surges, and I'd float weightless until the vessel smashed back on the surface with a colossal splash. She was fortunately never tossed on her side, which I'm sure would have blasted out the 50 year-old port lights (I need to replace them and through-bolt the frames). I was soaking wet in the cockpit and felt like I was piloting a submarine with a sail.

There are no anchorages between Pillar Point and Santa Cruz, a distance of 40 miles. I was at the half way point. Motoring to windward with my 6 HP engine was impossible. The combination of speed produced from my downwind course and the following seas had completely flooded the engine compartment and water was pouring into the cockpit. The stern rail was submerged. The winds were up to 38 knots sustained. Only worse conditions lay ahead, and I was only 3 miles offshore with a lee shore looming ahead. So I turned northwestward on a close reach to put more seaway between me and the shore and to bring the predominate wavefronts, which were dead astern, to about 20 degrees off the bow. Sailing to windward was very difficult and wave strikes would bring her to a full stop. I was grateful for the modified full keel because I'm sure she would have spun beam-on to the waves when stopped had she had a fin keel. I knew the winds would die down after sunset, as they always do here when they aren't driven by a storm. Exhausted, making very little headway to windward, the certain risk of capsize on a either beam course, and a lee shore behind and downwind -- I'd sailed into a box. My only option was to deploy my 6 foot diameter sea anchor angled off the bow to hold my position and keep the predominate waves bow on.

You can see my vessel's track archived here: http://aprs.fi/#!ts=1351987200&te=13...all=a%2FN8QH-8. (Note: the timestamps are in GMT.) The nearly solid red track produced by my compressed position reports is my path with the sea anchor deployed. It kept the bow to windward and my speed over ground at nearly a full stop: I averaged 0.4 knots for over three hours - held safely away from the lee shore. Given the difficulty in actively sailing into cross seas that had no favorble heading, the nearby lee shore, and my own exhaustion; I'd say the sea anchor made the difference between a difficult experience... and something much worse.

I followed your suggestion: Once the sea anchor was deploed and I as relieved of the need to actively sail away from the lee shore, I bottled myself up in the cabin, put on a helmet - which I really needed - the kinetic experience below was like being in a traffic accident every 10 seconds, and waited it out with the stereo turned up at full volume to help drown out what sounded like the inside of a jet engine (I recommend Ride of the Valkyries and Riders On The Storm by the Doors). I would have very much appreciated a big bottle of rum!

My log is attached. I stopped keeping a log once I sailed into the gale (it was too rough to write). I'm a pilot, and I use some notations from aviation weather reports: CAVU = Clear Air - Visibility Unlimited. Winds are noted as: direction magnetic @ speed in knots. SOG = Speed Over Ground. COG = Course Over Ground (magnetic). Seastate is predominate wave heights in meters.

Damage to the Ariel: none whatsoever. My 1/2 inch diameter nylon bridle used as a pendant on my sea anchor was stiff enough to out hold it several feet horizontally unsupported. I threw that away. This was the experience where I first wondered: "if this vessel goes inverted, will the ballast stay put?"
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by pbryant; 07-07-2013 at 12:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread