+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tabernacled mast operation - admitting my ignorance

Tabernacled mast operation - admitting my ignorance

I recently acquired Ariel #75 (Jubilee). The masthead was stripped bare: no antenna, anchor light, or even windex. Just some bare wire ends waving forlornly at the wind.

The mast is tabernacled, and the boom is rigged with an extra long mainsheet. I got quotes from riggers for the cost to install a $75 antenna (at least 5 times the cost of the antenna). The unknown conditions of the blocks at the masthead make an ascent via bosun chair potentially riskier than my 500 parachute jumps (I'm not afraid of heights - just sudden stops). Catch 22: I can't inspect the blocks without going up there to see them. And Murphy's Law says the block won't fail until I get all the way to the top, leaving a Wily Coyote silhouette of myself in the cabin roof.

So the fact the mast is tabernacled is becoming very appealing. The Harbormaster has offered the use of their 65 foot guest dock so I can work on the dock, but... I know nothing of how to safely lower and raise the mast.

The previous owner has two small and insubstantial rings attached to shroud lines, and he gave me a 10 second description of raising and lowering the mast while mentioning something about their use with preventers to keep the boom stable, but I still have visions of the mast getting away from me, breaking the foot loose from the cabin top and lancing through the cockpit (and me), or my inability for any reason to raise the mast - resulting in my renting a 65 foot slip while I tie up the boat by its masthead. The fact that the mast foot is attached to the step by only one bolt, a few very loose washers apparently for spacing, and a nylon locked nut - all of which look suspiciously like they were bought at Home Depot, don't add to my confidence.

Can anyone offer some advice to an owner made timid by all these unknowns?
    Last edited by pbryant; 01-03-2011 at 06:32 PM.

singlehanded masting

That's what Bruce Bingham calls raising and lowering your mast FORWARD
    using the boom as a gin pole.

Great drawings of the procedure in "The Sailor's Sketchbook" by Bruce Bingham N.A.
    International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press, 1983. $16

It'll set your mind at rest explaining in detailed and logical sketches exactly what to do.
    Of course actually doing it the first six times will still set your teeth on edge.
    Then you are an expert.
    I haven't done it as yet.
    There is a lot more on this subject somewhere here in the Forum.
    Maybe you can find it.

The book is filled with other projects as well. It is his artwork that is a joy.
    If you can find it, you have yourself a classic.

Just looked for it, dealers want $50 and up!!!!!!!
    But you might find it a lot cheaper in a used book store.

google
    Tech Tips - Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association
    You want to get in to C25 Tech Tips
    (great site over all! Look for the boat called 'Not Yet!' - lots of project entries - 'Huntington rig'
    http://www.catalinadirect.com/forums...?topic_id=9213)
    something like that won't blueline, but you should be able to find it. Forward lowering.
    Last edited by ebb; 01-04-2011 at 04:59 PM.

How about this method of climbing masts? I know of arborists climbing trees using this system. You could use it as a safety in conjunction with a climbing harness / block and tackle hanging from the main halyard. I plan on using this method to attach my spinnaker halyard block one day. Am I crazy?

http://blog.unsinkable2.com/2008/09/...ng-system.html

Humm... It looks as though getting past the spreaders might be a challenge.

He writes at the end of the article about using a third piece of webbing to get around the spreaders and other obstructions. I think this method has merit and might be one of the safest ways to get to the top of a mast. I'm going to give it a try soon.

Ben

Good find and a great idea. It'll keep you close to the mast too.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

+ Reply to Thread