+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sad News - Bill (Ron) Phelon has sailed on his final voyage

Sad News - Bill (Ron) Phelon has sailed on his final voyage

Hello Ariel and Commander friends.

Some of you may already know that my dad, Bill Phelon, had been fighting a losing battle with late stage IV colon cancer since his diagnosis around June of 2022.

Unfortunately, after a long fight he died yesterday peacefully and among friends.

He put a lot of time and effort into helping to grow and maintain the Ariel/Commander association and we're hoping there is someone in the community who would be interested in taking things over and continuing the legacy.

Please let me know if you are interested, or if you might know someone who is.

Thank you,

Bill

Dear Bill,
    I'm so sorry to hear this news. Your dad had mentioned this summer that he was receiving chemo. Was hopeful he'd prevail. Really sorry for your loss.
    Kyle

(I sent you a PM re your question)
    Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 03-06-2024 at 12:46 PM.

Such a sad thing to read. Wishing peace for you and your family, Bill. I went though the same with my father in the last couple months of his life, just over 24 years ago. The pain of grief lessens over time, but has never gone away completely. We all still miss him to this day.

I'd corresponded with your Dad about the site back in 2020, when IIRC he was transferring everything to a new host and the current board software. There were (of course) some transitional issues, and I wanted to let him know that if he needed help or whatever I'd be glad to do what I can. The offer stands, always.

I run several sailing community sites currently, along with a dozen or so commercial projects. Msg screenshot posted below, so you can see his humor.
    Attached Images  
    Last edited by epiphany; 03-08-2024 at 02:58 AM.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

So sorry for you loss.

I am so sorry for your loss and grateful for your dad’s support for our community.

This place has been so helpful to so many people… I do hope it can continue as I am sure Bill would want.

Thank you Kurt for your offer to step in. I am willing to help in whatever capacity I might be able to. So much wisdom in this forum, I hope it can be preserved.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Hey Kurt,
    There is a member of the facebook Commander group with similar experience to you who offered to be part of managing the site. He also offered his CIS department as a possible solution-finder for the hack that screwed up new membership.

(I offered to Bill to help, but frankly don't have any skills in these areas!)

FB commander group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1037892126570091

discussion about this issue and Karis' offer to help:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1037...9166443442649/

LMK if I can provide any more info or gather Karis' contact info.

Thanks Kyle! I responded over there. I'll send Bill II a PM, as I doubt that checking in here is important right now.
    Kurt - Ariel #422 Katie Marie
    --------------------------------------------------
    sailFar.net
    Small boats, long distances...

+ Reply to Thread