+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Atomic 4 Engine Rebuild or upgrade?

Marina Jack's in Sarasota Bay, Sarasota, FL

Atomic 4 Engine Rebuild or upgrade?

I have a 1965 Atomic 4 Engine in my 1965 Ariel and I am being encouraged by my restoration crew to replace it with a new or rebuilt Yanmar. I plan to use my Ariel mostly as a day sailer but I am doing a full (and very expensive) restoration of the deck, hull, bottom and interior. I know, it sounds crazy but i promise it will make any Pearson Ariel owner proud. I am restoring it in my father's honor as he bought this boat in 1967 (the year I was born) and I literally grew up on this boat and discovered sailing. He is 83 and gave me the boat for Christmas in 2012. Gift or project? I joke. I am proud to be the next owner and I am excited about restoring it to it's glory.

Anyway, what would you do? Get the A4 running or bite the bullet and replace it with a diesel Yanmar. Cost does matter but I don't look forward to wanting to sail and having the A4 not start.

Thank you for your opinions!

James Miller

If I were considering an inboard, the one for me would be the Beta diesel. It's small. Can be purchased as a 14 HP (used to have a 10 HP). All service can be done from the front. Check out the engine at http://www.betamarinenc.com/

There are a bunch of Dealers in FL. Maybe one of the still has a 10HP model.

I have researched and considered the Beta. I have very good experience with Kubota engines on land, not sure about sea. Either way, Beta is in consideration it is just not preferred or well known by my restoration team.

Are you using one or have you used one?

My 2 cents worth

I have an atomic 4 in my Cherokee 32 and think its a pretty good motor. Your probably familiar with Moyer marine and that they have just about everything an atomic 4 owner could want. If I had the money I would consider a diesel. Seems like every yanmar I ever used spit out a fair amount of oil in the exhaust. A Universal diesel that I had never spit out a bit of oil or even used any oil. Congrats on your inheritance

Have you considered refitting your Ariel with an outboard in a well?

Might be something to at least consider...

Works out well for many of us.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

A family Ariel - that's a really great story. What a feeling it will be when you get to give your Dad a ride on your "new" Ariel.

A couple more cents: (from someone with a dead inboard Yanmar) Almost every wallet busting unpleasant surprise has been directly or indirectly related to the inboard. However, my Yanmar was old an tired when I bought the boat. Being that you'll be starting from scratch, you may have better luck.

You should also consider where you sail. Are you going to do some long cruises? Do you need to motor out of a channel or river to get to your sailing area? As Craig mentioned above, an outboard works for most. He's a good source too - he's taken his Ariel on extended cruises to the Bahamas and who knows where else with an outboard. There's a lot to be said for "simplify simplify".

I'm still tossing around my repower options. Rebuilding the Yanmar would probably be the most cost effective, but I'm kind of soured on the diesel. It was loud and stinky. I sail off a mooring and rarely used the inboard in the first place, which probably didn't help with its longevity either. Electric would probably be my choice at the moment if cost weren't a factor. This season, my auxiliary power will be an oar. As I said, I sail off a mooring so it shouldn't be too much of a change. Although, I must say, I was glad to have the inboard when I needed it, and glad it started most of the time when I needed it too...

You may want to get the A4 in good working order and see how you like it. Lots of folks swear by 'em. It worked for your Dad for lots of years, and you have a ready source of advice on how to take care of it.

In any event, keep us posted and post lots of before/after pics!
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

"on land" I have had exellent service out of several kubota tractors over the years in construction. They are great engines! Craig has a valid point as well. A 8hp 4stroke electric start OB is only $1899 and will power an Ariel very well.....great on fuel too. The atomic 4's were a smooth running engine....only problem is they are getting a lil on the old and cranky side (I know that feeling) What ever you decide...enjoy the boat!! Seems you have a long history that will now continue for many years. PLEASE POST PICTURES!!!!! ;-)

Restoration

Name:  IMG_1946.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  25.0 KBName:  IMG_1929.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  46.2 KBName:  IMG_1930.jpg
Views: 931
Size:  25.4 KBName:  IMG_1931.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  22.1 KBName:  IMG_1947.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  22.7 KB

Thanks for the pics.....keep us posted as she progress's

A302'
    Our Dad bought a new Ensign in 1965 and all six of us kids learned to love sailing on that boat, Dad just turned 85 the other day and still races the boat every Thursdau night from May through October. That boat will always stay in this family.
    My two cents...
    The only reason that A4 is in your boat is that it was the only affordable inboard option for Pearson. It is not an appropriate engine for that boat. It is three times the power that is needed and three times the weight.Not that I have anything against the A4, I believe that properly maintained it is a reliable honey of a motor. It just is ridiculously more motor than needed.
    I think the little 1GM Yanmar would be great, as they are a one lunger they ***** and moan at idle but they smooth out nice with a few revs. I'm a little partial to the electric inboards if the sailing venue permits...they are not for everyone.
    Good luck with the restoration
    Mike
    C227

Mike is right about the A-4 being too much motor, the A-4 I have powers my CC that wieghs 8750 with no problem. The Beta that Bill mentioned is a lot lighter with plenty of power, I would look at that if my Ariel already had the inboard set up.

FWIW, mine is a Yanmar 2GM which is rated at 13HP. I took it out is some pretty choppy stuff and never once felt I was underpowered - except when it wouldn't start, that is...
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

I will be the voice of dissent and say you should keep the A4. I would recommend replacing it with a Moyer Marine factory rebuilt unit if you're unsure about the engine you have in the boat. The A4 is very reliable, and most importantly when it does break down it is easy and cheap to fix. The diesel will be reliable but much fussier and more expensive to fix when it does break down (and it will) whereas with the A4 I guarantee you any issue you run into you can take care of yourself. That is partly just because of the simplicity of the engine and in part due to the depth of support available to A4 owners through Moyer Marine and the associated online forums.

On the other hand, I do not disagree it is too much motor (although it does not produce the reputed 30 hp) and to each his own. It sounds like you have the resources to pay someone else to take care of the motor, so maybe that is not an issue for you. Diesels are certainly very popular these days. I would NOT under ANY circumstances put an outboard on it if you can afford not to. I hate the things, they are extremely fussy (ethanol makes this much worse) and will give you more trouble than anyone wants to deal with. Especially avoid four strokes. They will last you a couple years at best before they start to have issues, and once they start having problems, they do not stop.
    Last edited by Crazer; 03-22-2013 at 04:16 PM.

+ Reply to Thread