+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cockpit supports

Cockpit supports

Mine has wood sort of supporting it in a box like structure and there is a panel of plywood underneath the seat next to the companionway (it runs parallel to the stern) screwed into the fiberglass and then into the wood. Does anyone have this or do I have a badly botched custom job. Has anyone changed to fiberglass supports if so what did you use and what was the construction method.

John

Check the various photos of that area that have been posted. I believe you are describing a Pearson original.

Hello John.
    Just to check, I went to the SEARCH button above here and typed in "cockpit support."

First in the list is Tony's Gallery Forum pages. The problem is that it takes awhile to find what you are trying to confirm. You will find Tony's photo of the support at post #37, 3rd of 4th page in. I think.

Interesting, because 338 has a deep empty V instead of the obvious Pearson foam filled flat that Tony has. But the bridge is there including the original no seacock cockpit drain with the T-in for the sink.

Can't imagine that those Ariels with inboard engines would have the foam.

Ebb,

Sprite the boat, was an inboard model. The fellow who owned my boat or the person before him took out the Atomic 4 engine but left the raw water intakes for an inboard along with the bronze shaft to the stuffing box. I took out the old inboard raw water intakes for the engine and straightened out the fiberglass faired it etc. I have to make the correction for weight to compensate for the loss of the engine I think? I looked at Carl Albergs plans from the Peabody Essex Museum it looks like a box of 2 by 2 planks. Totally irritating. Plus the fellow screwed in plywood boards to the underneath of the bridge deck. Capt Carl did not have any structured knees either . It might have given Ariels a place for gas tanks or water tanks.

John
    Last edited by Bill; 07-05-2005 at 06:19 PM.

+ Reply to Thread