+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Commander Outboard 9.9 - 2 Stroke - 19" ?

Commander Outboard 9.9 - 2 Stroke - 19" ?

Newbie here.

I'm trying to bring my 'new' Commander home. I have an early 90's 9.9 Yamaha 2 stroke ( runs like new ) but I know it's not a 'long shaft' - however, the distance from where the bracket rests in the hull to the top of the lower unit's cavitation plate is 19".

Is this enough distance to properly work in what will be a long journey home ( if there's wind I'll sail, but I need the insurance policy of a good running, high HP engine as it's a loooong way ).

Not ideal for a shake-down cruise, but it's an option I'm playing with.

Thanks - BTW - I did try to search this on the forum, but I am having a challenging time narrowing things down...

Someone may have broached this subject in the Outboard Discussions sticky at: http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...rd-Discussions

Although not ideal, the short shaft should not be a problem unless you encounter some really rough seas. Also, under power there is a tendency for the stern to "squat" down, thus lowering the shaft (and increasing the probability of water entering the boat through the outboard well). The boat actually moves more quickly if there is a counter balancing weight at the bow while motoring -- such as a crew member.

It's official - I can't find anything specifically on the fit if an early 90's 2 stroke Yamaha 9.9 HP - not sure of the shaft length - all I know is it's about 18-19" from the bottom of the engines transom bracket to the top of the cavitation plate. I'll be trying to sail but must be prepared for no wind. I will be passing a well-known treacherous pass and will need the engine.

The best thing would be for me to fit her in to check, but the boat is a distance away and I'm hoping to go to pick up the boat, install the engine and go… I'm trying to get a line on another 2 stroke engine with a long shaft with as much HP as can fit as the nautical miles I'm looking to travel is a bit...

Please note that 8 hp is about the ideal max. Above 8 or maybe 9 you likely will go no faster. For locations with strong tides, a "power" prop is recommended over a "speed" prop (usually standard on these ob engines as they are expected to be used on small fishing boats). If the Commander comes with the Yamaha 9.9 two stroke, then it should fit in the well. The Johnson and Evinrude 9.9s fit. The head on the old Honda 9.9 is too large to even fit in the lazarette. I really don't believe the short shaft will be a problem.

Arrow Y9.9 shaft lengths

Official lengths from clamp to underside of cavitation plate:
    S = 17"
    L = 22"
    X = 27"

I believe these are standard lengths over the years.

FYI, New Yamahas have two 9.9 four stroke versions.
    F9.9 Lightweight 4-stroke = 95lbs
    T9.9 High Thrust ("FOR THOSE WHO NEED A LITTLE EXTRA PUSH") = 110lbs
    Comes in Short or Long.
    Looks like XLs are fading out.
    Yamaha lit mentions the motor is good for sailboats.
    (doesn't say '60s sailboats!)

Imco, both are too heavy to be considered 'portable' !!
    My former Yamaha 8 HT XL 4-stroke was/is 110lbs, sold the monster.

I'm one of those cowards who believe our full keel boats can use all the thrust
    we can get for dicey situations like high winds and rapid currents, and positive
    maneuvers inside the marina.

Imco, I would convert to a Yamaha high thrust prop, or it least look into it at
    a dealers, for your present motors. Especially on the Sound -- or the Bay.

{1000 years ago grew up in Babylon & West Islip. }
    Have fun. Good luck!
    Last edited by ebb; 10-08-2016 at 10:46 AM.

Thx guys. The 2 stroke 9.9 Yammy is an engine I own, so it would simplify things. The boat is across The Sound, so a) I can't test for fit and B) this engine would just be my 'get her home' engine.

The boat comes with a 4 hp 4 stroke yammi but I'm crossing a heavy current area and a nasty spot called Plum Gut and having enough ummpph is important.

Knowing she fit and would not cavitation would allow me to go get this crossing done now as it can turn cold here any week....

BTW - grew up in West Islip ! Class of '84

Exclamation Voyage

You must on the north shore now,
    if you're going to bring the Commander
    across the Sound.

Hope it's not TOO exciting. GoodLuck!

BTW
    Robbins Av in B.
    George St in W.I.

and I also miss CommanderPete ! !
    His photos his humor time after time after time
    were the best part of my day, here
    Last edited by ebb; 10-09-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Actually on the South Shore still. Going to have to bring her through Shinnecock Canal and then West ! Long trip and that's why the motor info is so important.

+ Reply to Thread