+ Reply to Thread

Thread: couple technical questions

couple technical questions

Hey everyone.......Glad to see familiar names.....and new ones.... on the site.

1. Noticed a slow drip, drip, drip from the bottom of the keel (stern area)during my last haulout. Has something to do with a void in the keel from what I remember ...Any advise...I splashed without dealing with it ...About 10 years ago, Tom had grinded the area down and water spilled out, and refiberglassed. What causes this, and is it something I need to deal with?

2. In the cabin there is a crack?, separation ? ..don't know how deep, where the left side of the port bulkhead (going into the V-berth) meets the cabin molding (hull area)....Has been there for years, but someone asked me about it and expressed concerns that I never had before. Thoughts?

Janice

On the keel dripping issue...

Ariel#231 had three sources of water that entered the keel void (all since fixed):
    1. cracks in and around the fastners of the rudder shoe
    2. seepage around the fastners for the strap that secures the rudder
    3. freeze damage to the fiberglass in the area of the keel void

items 1& 2 were fixed by removing the fittings and rebedding with 3M 5200
    item 3 involved removal of the gelcoat and new glass work to the keel.

Since that time, I've added an inspection port in the bilge to check the keel void annually (it's a recycled fuel-fill deck fitting with an o-ring seal). This option alone could allow you to pump the area dry if the problem reoccurs.

You might want to look at the keel-void thread....
    http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...read.php?t=604

On the subject of the crack... Is that a separation of the tabbing between the hull and bulkheads? Any chance of a photo???

cheers,
    bill@ariel231
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 04-19-2006 at 09:57 AM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Hey Janice! How 'ya doin?

Yeah sounds like the tabbing. You living aboard? I don't know how to do it without getting the inside full of dust.

Exclamation its like I said before

that condition will be encountered on all older fiberglass hulls.its kinda like an old age problem---go to any haul out yard and you will see this seepage on all size hulls from the same areas----the fasteners that hold the gudgeons to the hull are called wrist pins----they are not nuts and bolts---they are similar to rivits---they need to be drilled out---if water continues to seep out and you dont have the time to allow it to dry thoroughly--as was in my situation----use brass thru bolts and similar hardware ----and use a sealant that will "kick-off" when exposed to water.I used sea-going epoxy.

Janice, nice to hear from you again. I tried to look you up in February but struck out.

The leaky tiki keel just comes with the boat I think. As long as the water doesn't come up inside the bilge I'd have to say you're okay.

The crack? Hmmm. I'm no expert on these wonderful little crafts, but, I can say the tabbing on #113 was very thick around the main bulkhead. In most areas it was over 1/4" thick and didn't crack, lift or peel. That may be only because it would have been easier to remove had it done that!

Could it be the head liner that is cracked? That certainly would be less significant than the main BH tabbing peeling. But, having said that, it could still be an indication of something less than desirable going on.

I'd be more than happy to volunteer my humble services. Just let me know what to pack. Uh, let's see, that'd be shorts, sunglasses, guitar....

+ Reply to Thread