+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Updated shopping list

Updated shopping list

Just in case anyone has or has a line on (PLEASE! Make a profit! I need this stuff!<G>), here is my updated need/want list:

--Comp'way ladder from a Commander. While I can certainly build a suitable ladder, the Commander ladder with only a slight modification would be perfect and really save me some time!
    Prettiness matters much less than soundness and affordability.

--One, preferably two opening ports as used on Triton, Ariel, Vanguard and probably others. Material and appearance do not count as long as they are complete, sound and affordable.

A slug of Marinium alloy deck hardware:

1/ea. 10" cleat, 4 hole
    2/ea. 8" cleat, 4 hole
    4/ea. 6" cleat, 4 hole
    1/pr. 6" skene chocks
    1/pr. 5" skene chocks

Thanks,
    Dave

And of all the fool things to want...

Icebox cockpit loading hatches...TWO of 'em!
    Hard to explain why.
    Thanks,
    Dave

A pair of icebox hatch covers? Hmm, expecting to lose one?

You might ask if one of our more talented members would use their hatch cover as a template to create one for you.

My bad Call

Well, I was hoping that my Ariel brethren might often do what most of us dealing with old Tritons do...rip out the silly box, 'glass up the icehole, and build a proper icebox into the boat.

I had my original hatch, and couldn't stand to throw it out...no idea what it was gonna be good for, but hey.

No problems selling off my unwanted things usually, but I had no takers on Mr. Ice-Hatch for a long time...which maybe should've been a clue. Finally sold it for something silly like 3.99 on e-bay.

If you are familiar with the Triton lazarette, there is no top-loading hatch but a silly wood thing in the vertical bulkhead face. No good for a boat that's going offshore!
    I love wood hatches for the look, but they are a pain to build and a pain to maintain...so I was planning originally on using an Ariel forehatch, if I could get two. The other goes where it belongs in place of the original wood and plex abomination and in lieu of making a wood hatch! Thanks to Tony, the foredeck area is gonna look great with his reworked hatch.
    The Ariel forehatch is too large for the space on the Triton aft deck area anyway, as it turns out. I gotta remind myself all the time that this is a teeny little space, not even 1/2 the volume of DECISION's lazarette in which you could have stowed away at least three small children or one irritating adult guest without having to stand on the lid to shut it!<G>

My current plans involve actually using two smaller hatches...and guess what would be just perfect! Of course, this only becomes apparent about three days after I ship off the original one that I had. DOH!

If I need to, I can of course build a mold and make the things, but just like the Ariel forehatch, or the Commander ladder I'm looking for, if I can find the parts already extant, they will work perfectly with very little modification or effort...which is good for me and my huge "Do" list which is coupled to a tiny time table.

Pretty sure the Vanguard used the same hatch, too.

Help?

Dave

Why not ask for the moon while I am at it???

The original Triton rudder mountings do not make me terribly happy.

Hold on to something so you don't fall down, 'kay?

You know the keel shoe, the bronze thing at the bottom of the rudder on an Ariel or a Commander?

Anybody sees a boat getting cut up, please grab it.

Thanks,
    Dave

Oh no...One more thing.

I also would very much like to find just one lowly port assembly from a Commander.

I should explain that we do not have that many old Pearsons in this part of the country...not near like back east. The pic that S. Airing posted of his marina? You'd be hard pressed to get that many old Pearson boats all in a row at a rendezvous in the northwest!

Consequently, we just don't see these things in the seajunk stores, or run into boatyard lien sale/scrappers like you guys back east might, or even the fellows in California.

A lot of these things, I could cook up one way or another...but I am short on both funds and especially time, so it would be a tremendous help to be able to just get the stuff.

Now, here's a laugh...one of the things I do for a living is deal in seajunk...especially for some reason stuff for vintage woodys.
    If there is anything in particular that anyone is pining for, I may be able to help out on that. Maybe we can help each other out...

Thanks again,

Dave

Dave
    You'll never guess what-gettin rid of the cockpit ice hatch too. Before we ship off anything maybe I should get the whole list so we can send it in one box Tony G

Does anyone on this forum work in aircraft or other industries that use graphite and/or graphite-nomex composite materials? I've got some questions to ask if anyone may have answers.
    Thanks,
    Dave

Marymandara:
    You are fortunate because of where you live. I got my replacement fittings from a place local to you, Port Townsend Foundry in Port Townsend, WA. They cast a replacement set of chocks and cleats. They did a good job, at a reasonable price. There are a lot of old boats up there, and you might find something there as well.

I do know what you mean about finding "used" and similar fittings. They just don't exist, it seems.

Updated shopping list

There is a Vanguard being disassembled in Sacramento by a company that does old boat repairs. The owner bought her with the intension of repair and personal use sailing offshore, but she was too far gone. His website is: http://www.anzam.com/refurb_index_005.htm

He has lots of parts available including stanchions and bases, hatch hinges, and winches.

After reading the information on the Sacramento Vanguard, I'm a bit depressed. This boat has a great reputation. Wonder if the heat of the fire caused some of the bad stuff? BTW - I found no listing of parts for sale and nothing to indicate that the boat was not going to be restored.

Updated shopping list

The owner sent me an email about the items for sale. There is contact info on the website. I've not seen problems this bad on other Vanguards. I'm sure that at the time some of the building methods were not as good as they are now on the finest boats. All in all, the Vanguard is a great boat; I've had mine since 1986 with no major structural problems.

There's a Commander in NY listed for sale for $500 on the Good Old Boat online classifieds. Maybe if all of you who need parts got together..... They also list a Vanguard that is being parted out (under Gear).

anzam

That winch pylon shot on their site is THE most exciting photo of wood rot I've ever seen!

There's some drama too in Anzam's from the armpit advice on painting topsides and spars. Good stuff. Hows and Whys and Brands and Experience.

Also, you have to check out the polyester over epoxy gel coat nonskid deck coating tips. Esoteric. Sure wish one of us would try it befor I do. Looks like a great upgrade for the original basketweave on the A/Cs.

+ Reply to Thread