+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Exhaust pipe

Exhaust pipe

Hi all,
    Does anyone know of a source for an exhaust pipe for an Ariel with an Atomic 4 ??
    Joe Haney
    Ariel 205
    Sirocco

At this point, I believe it will be a custom fabrication. Kent Smith wrote about exhaust work in the winter 2007 newsletter (carbon monoxide leak):

"To shorten the story a bit, over six months later I collected the parts of Cloud 9’s exhaust system from the traveling mechanic and a metal shop in Stockton and took them to Svendsen’s Metal Works in Alameda. Within two weeks they had fabricated a replacement exhaust system that even I could install.
    Cloud 9 is now up and running!"

Thanks Bill
    I do believe you are correct about it having to be custom.

Joe, have you tried Moyer Marine? I believe they are all things A4 related. Looks like there's a forum on their site too, could be useful.
    Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Mcmaster Carr

You might try McMaster Carr for the pieces. They have stainless steel pipe sections (the same sizes as the galvanized you can get at Home Depot/Lowes).

It *can* be done without going totally custom.
    Moyer and McMaster can help.

ps....here's my secret, my wife and I surveyed Sirroco when we were debating repairing Ariel Spirit after H/C Isabel or selling and buying new. Item number 1 on the surveyor report was the tube-in-tube exhaust that I imagine you are replacing. Good Manuever getting rid of that thing! In fact, I almost pushed the button to order all the parts and pieces from McMaster when we decided to not buy Sirroco and instead repair Ariel Spirit.

McMaster seems to have lots of good boat repair stuff.
    For example, tyvek coveralls-about $5, a far cry from the highway robbery that Worst Marine charges.
    -Solid fiberglass panels in sizes up to 4'x8', and thicknesses up to aroung 1" solid fiberglass. The possibilities are numerous, including mounting pads and backing plates (without getting into drilling through metal).
    -Fasteners and fasteners.
    -Those cool little pins you use to attach sound insulation to the engine compartment, for about 1/100th the cost in a marine out let, for the same thing.

you get the idea. But for more ideas, here is a guy doing a major refit of a C&C 38 Landfall. I know I know, heresy mentioning another boat on this forum, but frankly, boat repair is boat repair is boat repair. He mentions McMaster, and typically includes the catalog number for the stuff he uses!

http://www.wbryant.com/StellaBoat/projlist.htm
    -km
    aka, "sell out"
    S/V Beyond the Sea
    C&C 35 mkIII

Our A4 had a 2 bolt fitting which mated up to the manifold, that had 1 1/4ish (i forget exactly) Pipe thread, it's a bandaid but we replaced it with galvanized, though I'm sure it will out last the A4 at this time, she's starting to smoke . .
    #97 "Absum!"

Hi mgrnstrn

I saw Ariel Spirit's pics, WOW she is quite the beauty. I'm very glad you didn't buy Sirocco, she was just waiting for me. She had so much fun being owned by one Submariner that she wanted another Submariner when Steve put her up for sale

+ Reply to Thread