+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Outboard Discussions

Hybrid View

Nissan 6

Having had the Nissan 6 hp on my Commander, I would recommend the long shaft. With the 20" short shaft you'll experience some caviation in a steep choppy seas - the very conditions in which you'll least appreciate the cavitation. You'll amortize the incremental cost of the long shaft over the very long service life of the Nissan 6 and be glad you did.

The vertical pull starter cord is a preference rather than a clear benefit. It works fine, but I found one drawback. When the vertical pull apparatus is installed through the opening in the engine cover, the rubber sound insulation gasket which surrounded the stock "horizontal" pull cord is removed. As a result, you get a little less sound insulation and a little more noise with the vertical starter. I would try the stock "horizontal" pull cord on your boat. If you have no problem with the stock pull cord, stick with it. If you have a problem with the stock "horizontal" pull cord, such as part of the bulkhead obstructing a "clean" pull, or are otherwise uncomfortable with the stock pull cord, you can always add the vertical pull.

MRH
    MRH

We just purchased a new Tohatsu 6 hp 4 stoke for #387. It was a long shaft model. We paid about $1400 in FLA. I guess Tohatsu is the #1 selling outboard in the world which surprised me. Yes they do make small block mercs as well. We just ran it more or less non stop for 4 days and it worked great. No cavitation even with a 20 degree list during motor sailing. Depending on tide pushed us along at 6 knt at just over half throttle. I too would also recommend a long shaft. I was going to buy a Yammy 6hp but I felt it was too big for the well esp with that fancy gear shifter on the throttle. Was also alot more money.

Guy told me that a charging upgrade would run about 200 bucks since they have to put on a new fly wheel.

The thing that I really like about this outboard is the weight which comes in around 50 lbs. Makes the dreaded engine in and out much less of a chore for old backs like mine. I don't like the engine cover which is a pain to get on and off. Also wished it had a proper dip stick instead of the modified plastic cap/dipstick which I fine hard to read. I guess as the oil gets dirty this will improve!

I bought this motor with many doubts but it turns out to be a great power plant for an Ariel. I guess the Mercs and Nissans would be similar.

I would recommend it to new engine buyers and I'm sure if you shop around you could get a beter price than we did at 1730 on a Sat evening in small town FLA!

Andrew
    Last edited by Westgate; 03-13-2007 at 10:00 AM.

I do have a question?

What is the "best" prop for a 6hp outboard. I have little reverse power with the stock Tohatsu prop and I heard that a different pitch prop would improve this. What are the forward vs reserse power tradeoffs with different props?

Andrew

Prop

I second Andrew's prop question??
    Joe

long vs short

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Nissan 6

Having had the Nissan 6 hp on my Commander, I would recommend the long shaft. With the 20" short shaft you'll experience some caviation in a steep
    MRH
    I'm a bit confused. I'm about ready to replace the Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke that came with #242 with a new Mercury 6hp 4-stroke with the 20" shaft after reading all the great suggestions offered here.
    I had thought that the 20" shaft was the long shaft and that the short shaft was 15". Do I actually need a 25" shaft for my Commander?

Marty Thomas
    Commander #242

Marty:

15" is short 20" is long and 25" is extra long. I think that the 20" would be fine in most situations. At least situations that I would find myself out in a 26 foot boat!

Andrew

+ Reply to Thread