+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 LastLast

Thread: Commander 147

Commander 147

Well I finally did it. I flew to Vermont on Friday and on Saturday I bought commander # 147.

She will be trucked to Florida in the next couple of weeks and then put on a trailer that we are building for her and brought to my home where I can do the stuff that is necessary to put her back into commission. While the "need to" list is relatively short, the "want to" list is very long and I will spend my summers (off season here in Florida thanks to summer thunderstorms) rebuilding this boat stem to stern. I can't wait to get started.
    Attached Images  

Congrats! Even at its worst (scrape-sand-fill-scrape-sand-fill-sc......)it is wonderful fun!
    1965 Ariel #331

'MARIAH'

WAAAA-HOOOOO!!!! CONGRATS!!

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

...and you'll have to change your screen name

Ditto!!!

Mike
    Totoro (Sea Sprite 23 #626)

Willbe?! Is! Congratulations to you. But I can't see a thing that needs to be done from that photo-other than relocating.

You can start with photos of the trailer. Just keep them coming, I'm sure we'll let you know when to stop. Realize, however, no one has reached that point yet.

It looks Beautiful! Let us know the details of your to-do list... (I'm curious!)

She might be the closest sibling to C-155... (??)

What is her name?

Interesting aft winch bases... Would you mind shooting a picture for me?

Congratulations and welcome to the board!

Thanks all...

Lucky Dawg

As you can see Bill is right on top of things here, my screen name is now more appropriate.

Rico

I am more than happy to shoot any pictures you or anyone else would like. The boat is still in Vermont and per a conversation with the yacht transport company today they will likely pick up the boat either tomorrow afternoon or Thursday morning and head to Florida with her. I will probably see her next on Monday or Tuesday.

The company building the trailer is in Georgia and I'm hoping to be able to pick up the trailer this weekend so I can put the boat straight on the trailer and bring her back to my house so I can get started working on her.

Her name currently is Daydream. That may change down the road but for now I need to get to know her better before I change it.

The aft winch bases I'm told have been on the boat for 20 years or more. The previous owner had the boat for 17 years and they were installed by the owner prior to him. They are nice when you are single handing the boat because they are closer to get to. Here is a shot I got from the prior owner showing them a bit closer up.

BTW Rico do you still have that pivoting mast base you offered for sale? I may be interested in buying it.
    Attached Images  

Like others:
    A hearty Congratulations is in order. I remember seeing her when she was listed for sale. I had emailed the previous owner who answered all my questions. I never did persue her for a couple of reasons but....from the answers I got, as well as the photos provided, it appeared she (your Commander, currently know as "Day Dream") was in excellent shape and ready to be enjoyed.
    If it were me, I'd think about enjoying her for the summer, then start attacking your "want to" and "desire" list. You may find that the priorities change as you and her develop a bond and you get to know her more.

Enjoy and keep the photos coming. It help us, especially me, out and keeps many motiviated.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

Thanks Chance...

I intend to sail her as soon as possible. And she is not my first boat and I truely understand the bond between a boat and her owner. There are however some things I must to because the boat is not splash ready the way she is now.

First the previous owner was bringing the boat to a marina he normally did not go to, to have the boat hauled last fall. He hit a rock with the keel and caused some damage that I need to repair. I have included a picture of the damage below. And while I'm repairing that I'm also going to address the minor blistering that I believe was caused by a barrier coat that was applied that sealed water in the keel instead of sealing it out. Then I will strip the bottom and redo the barrier coat and apply bottom paint that is appropriate for my area.

When I complete that I need to stop the wet core in the deck from getting any wetter and try to recover from what has already occured. The chain plates have been leaking for some time and there is already some spongy deck in a small area on the port side. There is also a wet core near the bow in the area I circled in the second picture in red. That area also has a small spongy area. That area sustained damage in a storm and that is why you see the small disks under the pulpit bases. It was a cover up repair.

And last but not least the lake I plan to put the boat in initially does not have a lift so I need a mast raising system that does not require a crane. I know what I want to do but I need to get it done. As part of that setup I want to replace the wood that is currently under the mast with the aluminum base.
    Attached Images    

I completely understand

Hello,
    I can truely understand your motivation and determination to fix the criticals and get it "right". Thanks for the photos, nicely done. I have no Idea how you drew lines, arrows and circles one the one photo, but sense your very computer savvy too.

That PO's redevous with a submerged rock must have been a real nightmare. I would definately call that "hard" aground, although perhaps not stuck.
    Respectfully,
    Chance Smith
    (Formerly) Sea Sprite 23 #760 (Heritage)
    (Formerly) Commander #256 (Ceili)

What was the appeal of this boat over the Commander that was for sale in Jax. FL ?
    Are you getting your trailer from Sail Trailers in Col. GA? Those area couple of great folks, small boat sailors. They may have some insight into a mast raising system. When I mentioned launching an Ariel from a trailer to them and said I was skeptical They seemed to think it was no big deal.
    It's a very good time of year to move a boat south.. Good Luck

Carl

The boat in Jacksonville was significantly worse off compared to this boat. And I did not pay any more for this one than I would have had to pay for that one. Yes I had to ship it down here but it would have cost me a lot more to bring the Jacksonville boat up to the same level of repair than the shipping cost me for this one.

Yes the trailer is coming from Sail Trailer in GA. I have dealt with Spence there and so far so good. I'll let you know more when I get the boat on the trailer and see how everything looks. I did talk to Spence about a mast raising system and I decided to go another way. I will post pics of my mast raising method when I have it set up.

I actually got a pretty good price to move the boat down here because so many boats are going north now. Hope all goes well and I see her in good shape on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander 147 View Post
    I did talk to Spence about a mast raising system and I decided to go another way. I will post pics of my mast raising method when I have it set up..
    Did you see post #15 in the Mephisto Cat thread for a tabernacle option?

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussi...ead.php?t=1552

I did see Rico's work and I was impressed. I already have the info on the hinged mast base thanks to Rico so I can buy one (Rico has sold the one he had) and plan to do an aluminum base similar to the one he did. I am very impressed with many of the things he has done to Mephisto Cat and hope I can do as well with my commander.

She looks beautiful!!!

Happy, Happy boat day!
    Looks like you got a real beauty there. I love the picture with the PO sailing her ( I know its hard to see her look so happy with another man... but she's all yours now).
    Good luck with the transport and trailer fitting, I hope it all goes smoothly.
    Keep us posted.

+ Reply to Thread