+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Racing Tips

Racing Tips

I am about to start racing my Ariel once a week in a "just for fun" race night. I am looking for others who mights have some tips! For example, I was told that I might want my fresh water tank to have at least some water in it for ballast - although I'm not buying it. I also need to find my boats rating etc. Can anyone help?

The Ariel's PHRF rating in our area is 258. There is, however, some variation region to region, but the rating is always over 200.

Add water? My suggestion is to unload everything from your boat. Except USCG and race committee required gear. Empty all the drawers and lockers. Take the lead pigs out of the bilge. Pack a light lunch

Next, be sure the bottom of the boat is clean. Have a diver go over it just ahead of each race. That stuff under there can really slow you down.

Now the biggie. In what condition are the sails? New is fast. Old is slow.

There is more [jib track location, outhauls, downhauls, vangs, mainsheet traveler, etc.], but a light boat with a clean bottom will get you started. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Get familiar with the starting sequence, and how your stopwatch operates.

Don't go for the perfect start, but don't be caught too far away.

You won't be able to point as high as some other boats, and you'll just slow the boat trying. Go for best possible speed instead.

You really need a whisker pole downwind.

Over 15 kts. wind the boat is happier with a reef in the main and as much headsail as conditions allow.

Racing in light winds is torture.

Don't round the buoys too close or you might get some green paint on your hull like me.

+ Reply to Thread