+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anchoring Gear & Anchor Equipment

Anchoring Gear & Anchor Equipment

The equipment that attaches your boat to the anchor is the second part of the discussion of anchors and anchoring. Here is the article that starts the discussion:

http://myboatsgear.com/newsletter/2008910.asp

Top Performing Anchors

This online newsletter from MyBoatsGear.com contains a comparison chart of the top anchors on the market: http://myboatsgear.com/newsletter/200788.asp The anchors chosen are the Rocna, Fortress, Delta, Spade and Supreme. Each of these anchors had the highest holding power in a variety of tests performed by various publications and organizations. The chart compares holding power, cost, weight, type etc. RSS feeds are available at http://myboatsgear.com/mbg/index.asp

It looks to me like the language chosen on MyBoatsGear site has been cleaned up a bit so as not to slant entirely toward Rocna as it seemed to before. The previous presentation knocked the Manson Supreme unfairly, imco.

Much of the text about the anchors is taken from web sites, therefore it's NOT impartial. Advertising copy is used to describe the named anchors.

Some of the slant still appears in the "impartial" individually rated description of the Manson Supreme where the long slot is said to be a hazard because chain will get caught in it. This is nonsense.
    This shows what happens when info is copied from other sources.
    In the past the text also read that the long slot weakened the Supreme shank. That opinion is no longer there (or I didn't pick it up on scan). Originally the opinion came from one of the Rocna sites.

What POSSIBLY can happen with ALL roll bar anchors: Wasi, Rocna, Supreme, is that chain might get caught/wrapped in the groove between the roll bar and the shank.
    No tests, photos, complaints exist for this scenario so far as I know. And it seems unlikely. No tests so far.
    Remember, the Sarca anchor adds a piece from the top of its rollbar to the shank so chain can not get caught in that space.

You will notice that the Supreme does well in veering tests - while the Rocna does NOT.
    I believe the Rocna design, while quick setting, is not able
    IN THE WEIGHT ANCHORS WE USE
    to take a deep set.
    The Supreme, because its fluke is curved but FLAT is able to penetrate deeper and therefore can be pulled by the boat into a new position while still buried.
    Of course I have done extensive testing comparing these two anchors IN MY MIND. But actual on going testing is proving this conjecture.

Imco Rocnas share some of the problems of the 'cup' shaped claw/bruce anchors in that they can grab a piece of the bottom and pull out.
    Of course the scoop shape of the Supreme could possibly do the same
    BUT my feeling is that the design is more likely to want to dig deeper than to set shallow and pull out. The Rocna anchor has angle bends in the back of its fluke which PREVENTS DEEP PENETRATION.
    [Imco the rollbars attached to the rear of the fluke may also limit penetration - along with the welding gussets (which are on the underside of the blade in both anchors) that strengthen the pipe's join to the blade. imco these projections also can seriously impede penetration.
    But this is not from my actual experience.]

I think this is an important distinction, even if eyes glaze over.

The writer on the MyBoatsGear site also does not seem to write from his actual experience. It's all collected from print data.

But there is a great deal of data on gear necessary to get an anchor system together.
    Last edited by ebb; 07-02-2009 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebb View Post
    The writer on the MyBoatGear site also does not seem to write from his actual experience. It's all collected from print data. Last edited by ebb : Today at 09:09 AM.
    Much like the majority of posters on the internet.

I will stick with my Manson, I am as likely to trip over my elbow* as have the chain get 'caught' in the slot on the shank of the anchor.

* While unlikely, it COULD actually happen... probably more likely the the anchor chain issue.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Real testing by real cruisers is about the only thing I pay attention to regarding anchors anymore.

And Craig, I once did trip over my elbow while crawling below almost broke my nose
    1965 Ariel #331

'MARIAH'

Originally Posted by ebb
    "The writer on the MyBoatGear site also does not seem to write from his actual experience. It's all collected from print data."
    Reply by Craig.."Much like the majority of posters on the internet."

Quote by Thoreau..."How vain it is to sit down and write what you have not stood up to live"

Maybe ole Henry David was checking on some postings too

Now...back to anchors......................

Stand UP and Live!

Now there is a great mantra!
    (apologies to Hank
    ....and Frank!)
    Last edited by ebb; 07-02-2009 at 09:11 AM.

+ Reply to Thread