+ Reply to Thread

Thread: my wall is to thin in the chainlocker on the portside

my wall is to thin in the chainlocker on the portside

How do I thicken the fiberglass in the chainlocker on the portside. It might have been in some accident. It is way too thin. How do repair and reinforce it.

John

Smile

John

What are your symptoms? Does the panel "oil can"? Does the Hull/Deck joint flex? The orginal construction on A-231 was approx 1/4" to 3/8" or so at the hull/deck joint (but much thicker at the turn of the bilge).

I wouldn't worry unless there are signs of a bad repair or obvious damage (such as fractures, stress cracks, flexable hull/deck joint, loose bulkhead tabs, or chain plates that have moved).

The original hull deck joint on A-231 was glassed on the inside edge only with the stainless trim plate covering the rough edges on the outside. In my case, the hull/deck joint had failed. As a consequense, I ended up fairing in a repair that included new glass work on both the inside & outside of the joint.

If the panel oil-cans you may want to lay in some mat&roving over the interior of the affected area (after sanding away all of the paint). For technique, West Systems has a book available at most places that carry their resin. It's a good tutorial on mixing epoxy potions, use of thickeners and application of cloths/mat & roving. As for the actual epoxy brands, lots of brands out there, pick one you are comfortable with.

If there is any doubt, recommend you get someone who knows glass to have a look in person....

good luck
    bill@ariel231
    Last edited by bill@ariel231; 12-04-2005 at 07:32 PM.

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    If the sun is shining on the hull, the thinner, unpainted areas can appear translucent when you're looking from the inside.

That would be normal if that's all you're seeing

The area effected is where a shelf was put in the chainlocker. On the port and
    starboard sides fiberglass tape was used. When I removed the shelf and the tape because it in such poor condition, I noticed the sun coming in on the portside about 12 inches below the hull and deck joint where the shelf had been. The Sprite (the boat) looks like it had some sort of damage where the
    stemhead is it's not level on the curve at the point of the bow on the top. (If that makes sense ). Ok lets try this again. If you are on the deck and you are looking at the bow at the very point where the stemhead is bolted it is not level with edge or with the bow's curve. It looks like a poor repair. Anyway what I was looking for was how to reinforce or thicken the area where the shelf had been so that there is no sunlight coming in.

John

John

Do you have time to post a picture of the stem fitting? If a previous owner drove into the dock, the stem fitting may need to be removed to effect a repair.

bill@ariel231

I have to dig the photo out of storage but it looks like the area was cut about a 16th of an inch all around the stemhead and it is not level with deck. I think the hull and deck joint are solid. I think commanderpete had it nailed that the area might need painting.

John

+ Reply to Thread