+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re Power my Ariel with an inboard diesel

Re Power my Ariel with an inboard diesel

I sailed my Pearson Ariel "Louise Michel" from Jamaica Bay, NYC to Miami, FL and then the Abacos in 2015. Now she is in Miami with me.

I did the whole trip on a Tohatsu 6HP long shaft.

Now I want to re power with a diesel, and I have read about diesel marine engines that are made to fit atomic four mounting points.

My prop shaft is still sticking out and spins fine...although I don't play with her as she is in the water and it begins to drip-drip if I spin the shaft.

Anyone have experience with this? I heard of a place near the FL panhandle.

$$$?

Thank you,

Captain Kevin T Brady

If it was me, I'd repower with a Beta Marine engine. Small and light, unlike the Atomic-4 and most other diesels. They used to have a 10HP, but now the 20 is their smallest:

http://www.betamarinenc.com/engine/b...4-replacement/

They have a model 20 set up to replace the Atomic 4

The Beta Marine engine is nice, relatively inexpensive and they have terrific support. Personally I would modify the bed and drop in a Yanmar. I like Yanmar engines though they are pricey. You can pretty easily find a used 2GM that still has some miles left in her.

Hi Kevin,

I've recently purchased A-414 with a 2GM in her. It's currently not running and I'll be pulling it out to rebuild this winter but if you need any info on how it fits or want pics I'd be happy to help. I don't know what was done to the beds when it was installed but it couldn't have been much - everything looks pretty darn close to original. There was a shelf behind the motor that was mostly cut away and the remainder is where the lift muffler now lives. A critical modification was that the former owner (mbd on the forum, Mike in the world) installed a hatch just aft of the cockpit drain scuppers. It makes access, well... possible.

Let me know if there is any specific info you need - and 2GM's are definitely still around. At least two on craigslist here in Maine within the last month.

-Ben

Oops! just realized this thread was from last winter. The offer still stands though for anyone who wants pictures of a 2GM in an Ariel.

-Ben

Thanks Ben, I would appreciate pics. It is harder to find smaller diesel engines down here, not much sailing culture left in Miami. It's almost like sailboats come here to die.

I am still using the outboard well with a Yamaha 8 for now....

I guess one good thing about the outboard well is that I was able to remove everything yesterday in prep for the coming Hurricane.

2GM in Ariel Pics

Sorry it took me a bit to get these pictures - you know how it can be. Anyway I was getting sick of waiting for pictures to upload here so I just made a google album that anyone can view. Here is the link

Let me know if you have any questions or if any specific measurements would be helpful. I'm scheming to change things quite a bit in there to make me want to do the maintenance and to clean things up. Two things that are at the top of the list are moving the raw water filter so it's more accessible (I'm thinking under the aft bilge cover where the seacock is for the raw water intake) and trying to drop the water lock muffler down below the engine to get more of the recommended drop into the muffler from the injection elbow. Also I'm planning to relocate the exhaust thru-hull to the transom so I can check on the cooling water flow without needing to look under that beautiful long counter rear of hers.

There is a whole bunch of room all around the engine. It looks tight in the pictures but it mostly just is hoses and wires. A substantially larger engine could be made to fit but I doubt it would yield any use to you. But we'll see once this little tugger is back in action!

Also I hope you are either out of Miami or in a very secure place. Good luck over the next few days and stay safe!!

+ Reply to Thread