+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Computers and Navagation Software for Geeks

Computers and Navagation Software for Geeks

I haven't seen much on the idea of computers and nav charting software on Ariels/Commanders. Probably because most of us either 1. sail in well known waters, 2. Need new sails before we need to figure out exactly where we are 3. are technically challenged 4. took the power squadron nav course and like dead reckoning. However, since many of you are probably snowed in and bored this time of year thinking about new rudders, rudder shoes and such (ha ha) I figured I'd give some of you the chance to explore the emerging world of FREE vector navagation charts which are now available from our goverment through NOAA. I'm sure you've all seen nav charting software and expensive chart plotters from Garmin and others. And I'm sure you've seen the prices of the charts you have to buy in each manufacturers proprietary formats. Well guess what? NOAA, (yes, the weather guys, and also the keeper of the keys to US harbors and inland waters charts) has over the past few years completed digitizing most coastal waters and inland waterways into the new international ENC Vector chart format. A vector chart means there is a digital address for each chart object, whereas a "Raster" chart is simply a scanned image of a paper chart. Vector charts are more useful than raster because you can "layer on the data you are interested in, which can't be done with raster charts. NOAA is now going to use its vector chart database as the source for all of its paper charts. But the really cool thing is that these same source vector charts can be had for free. But you need a way to display them (chart software that can display the new worldwide ENC format, which stands for Electronic Nautical Charts, or sometimes called S-57 charts). You need a PC to run the software, and you need a display.
    Kent

Entrance to Galveston Bay Example

Here's a screen shot of the entrance to Galveston Bay from ENC Texas Chart No. 54. The viewer software is from Fugawi, a Canadian company who is one of the first to market with nav software that recognizes the ENC format (I wonder how long its competitors will take to add this, since it will obviously cut into their profits if we can get charts for free!)
    Attached Images  
    Kent

Computers

Most wealthy boat owers who use charting software spring for an expensive laptop because its small, light, and can use 12 volt power. But just as the world of charts is changing, so is the world of the PC. Hobbyists want to put computers in cars--- the Geeks have been asking for small form factor PC's that they can put into their cars to store all their MP3's, and also to get DVD into their SUV's etc at a cheaper price than dealer installed options. So VIA, a motherboard manufacturer in Taiwan has come out with the mini-ITX form factor (ATX is typical size most of you have on your desktop) This is a tiny full function PC board. In addition, a company called mini-box has come up with a 12 volt power supply that's on a board and plugs into the VIA. Further, they have another board for cars (and boats) that regulates the voltage so you can run the PC off a 12 volt system. And the whole thing will consume only 15-20 watts!!! The picture below is the mini-box system. Its not much bigger than a couple of video cassett cartridges (7" W, 1.75" H, 10" deep) and it weighs about 2 pounds.
    Attached Images  
    Kent

Displays

Displays are also coming on the market in 7" VGA screen sizes. Up till now, there have been lots of small format flat panel screens available, but they are all TV screens which are great for watching DVD's but not good for looking at charts. The new VGA screens are around $190 and are as clear and bigger than the ones found on the Garmin chartplotters.
    Attached Images  
    Kent

So where am I going with this???

Well,

Maybe nowhere!! But its kind of neat to think that in the not too distant future, as prices continue to drop, you could have a small complete PC the size of a car stereo radio on wich you can display free ENC charts, with your GPS marking your current position, all displayed on a clear relatively inexpensive color screen placed where you want it. And low low power consumption. Not that any of us really need this---I really don't, but I wonder why people want DVD's in Cars???? Seems dangerous! oh well, this thread is truly for Nautical techno-Geeks. Links to the topics I've discussed are shown below (for the one person who owns an Ariel or Commander, who is bored, and has made it this far!!!)

Fugawi ENC (software description)

http://www.fugawi.com/docs/navframe.html

Fugawi Free Viewer (demo program, can view ENC charts from NOAA)

http://www.fugawi.com/viewenc/viewenc.html

NOAA ENC Charts (NOAA page describing the ENC chart format)

http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/mcd/enc/index.htm

Download ENC Charts (pick out your free charts and download)

http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/encdistr...n/download.asp

Mini-box M100 (a tiny full function pc)

http://www.mini-box.com/m100.htm

Automotive power Sequencer (a PC card that regulates 12volt battery power)

http://www.mini-box.com/itps.htm

VGA Monitor (example of the new small VGA LCD displays)

http://www.digitalww.com/VGA_TM_700VGA.htm
    Kent

thanks Kent!

I made it! Good info.
    wet willieave maria

Live in: Ocqueoc, Mi Home Port: Drummond Island, MI

Talking Fugawi

Kent,

We have been using Fugawi software on both a laptop (old one) and our desktop computers. We chart our routes, then download them to our handheld GPS's (two) one for backup. We then use the GPS for navigation, and DR on our paper charts. This way we have the best of both worlds. If we need to access the Fugawi charts, we can fire up the laptop if needed. There are times that we have lost the satelites on our handhelds so DR is a must. We never use just electronics for navigation. I like the idea of the smaller footprint. Thanks for the info.
    Liz Fagel
    s/v Fagel Attraction II
    Pearson Commander #75

Does this new softwarealso check the spelling of such words as "navagation" in the title of this thread?

Can the ENC charts be downloaded to a Garmin handheld - not that there is anything wrong with the Garmin maps - other than all their security whatnot?

The issue for me is that I need the GPS map out in the great outdoors when the weather may not be so benign - so the PC only has use on those cold winter days.

Peter,

I missed the 5th grade spelling test that included the word "navigation". Actually, I type too fast as well.

1. No, all the popular chart viewing software I've seen typically doesn't include a spell checker.
    2. No, Garmin GPS and Chartplotters don't currently support the ENC vector format as far as I can tell. Maybe they want you to pay for their maps instead of getting them from NOAA for free? Hummm.

It will be interesting to see which companies will update their charting software to support the ENC format and who won't. I don't expect a mad dash to do it. Right now, Fugawi is the only one I'm aware of that supports it today (in the newest version-- see the link above.) I haven't read or seen anything from the others about their plans to support the ENC international format. Other countries are starting to release charts in the ENC format. However, only NOAA in the US is giving it away. I think Canada is a pay per view (ha!) country. So is Europe. And remember this format is the "source" data set NOAA will provide to the likes of Maptech, Garmin, etc.
    Kent

I suspect that at some point someone in Washington will figure that the federal revenue should be increased and we will start being taxed for everything from paperclips to gasoline (and I don't mean a few cents per gallon - it will be up there with tobacco and liquor) - but that is another story.

The one complaint I have heard about the NOAA charts is that the resolution is not satisfactory for a print medium.

I had heard about Fugawi many years ago but never really understood what they did other than having something to do with navigation. They are, as I recall, the source for the expression "where the Fugawi?"
    Last edited by Theis; 01-27-2004 at 08:08 PM.

that's good

EZ-Gps - free download

While we are waiting for the next generation of cheap chartplotters to come online (for those who are waiting) .....

A program I have been using to keeping track of waypoints and routes is EZ-Gps, a free download.

I can dump all my ICW marks to folders on the laptop to make setting up races easier, but the really nice thing is loading the marks and waypoints I like to use into a new GPS (or someone else's).

http://www.easygps.com/default.asp

They have a paid version too, I don't know anything about it as the free one does what I need. I have other Nav software, that I don't use anyway so I have not looked into it.

Couple things this has been really helpful for;

* Just bought new GPS

* New arrival at the Club / new Sailor

* Setting up the course, (works well since the program works with all major GPS's)

* Poker runs (this saves LOTS of time).
    Last edited by c_amos; 07-01-2005 at 08:14 AM.

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.
    Came across this thread in the Triton Yahoo site. How to build your own chartplotter similar to what Kent did.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/triton/message/17952

Is anyone here using a Garmin 540 s? What do you think of it? WOuld you buy it again>?

I have a chance to pick up one used.... what is a fair price (without the transducer).

Thanks,

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

+ Reply to Thread