+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Bilge Pump Discussions

Asst. Vice Commodore, NorthEast Fleet, Commander Division (Ret.) Brightwaters, N.Y.

Bilge Pump Outlet

Where is the preferred place to run the hose from the bilge pump?

I sure dont want to cut a new hole in the hull for it.

Options considered so far:

1) Sink drain plumbing

2) Cockpit

3) Outboard motor lazarette

Assume an appropriate anti-siphon loop/ check valve on the hose.

Brings back memories.

I have two outlets so you can take your pick.

My Rule 3600 gph bilge pump outlet, located at the bottom of the bilge, has a 1 1/2" flexible hose going back under the aft flooring and passing upward through the gap in the flooring under the cockpit at the rudder shaft, then up as high as I could get it passing to the side of the cockpit into the starboard lasarette, through the motor lassarette bulkhead, and then a sharp 180 degree bend down passing underneath the aft lasarette floor and through an outlet fitting mounted through the hull alongside the outboard motorwell. The outlet is only a few inches above the water, but, because it is facing downward, it is concealed and doesn't hurt the asthetics.

Originally I had a check valve at the highest point, just underneath the aft part of the cockpit seat where the hose passed through to the aft lasarette. I was then advised, told, read, etc. that there MUST NOT BE A CHECK VALVE in the bilge pumpt line. The check valve can, and does get plugged just when you need the pump. A check valve, I have been told is an ultimate NO NO and can be very dangerous, according to those that allegedly know.

What I did instead, after I had removed the check valve (incidentally, I might mention, a 3" rigid plastic tube fitting replaced it going through the bulkhead and connecting the sections of hose on either side of the bulkhead), was to pierce a small hole in the upper side of the hose in the aft lasarette just forward of where it goes through the bulkhead, and insert a small piece (1/4") of clear flexible tubing into the hole. That is the anti-siphoning device. When the pump is on, a little water comes out, particularly at start up, but the clear hosing is bent at about 90 degrees so the water passes just under the aft deck and is directed to the side of the motor well so nothing gets wet. Any water that comes out drains out the motor well drain holes discussed below.

The other drain is for a Whale Gusher hand pump. The outlet for that is a 1 1/2" hose that also passes high through the aft lasarette bulknead and drains to the bottom of the aft lasarette.

I have drilled two holes at the forward end of the motorwell that drain the aft lasarette at the bottompart of the lasarette, a few inches forward of the bulkhead. So when I hand pump, the water goes into the aft lasarette through a hose. The draining of the lasarette is separate. As long as it drains faster than I pump, I'm OK. For anti siphoning, I rely on the Gusher's valve action.

Hope that gives you an idea or two.
    Last edited by Theis; 01-16-2002 at 03:43 PM.

On my ariel I just ran the hose up to the bilge to the first inspection hole in the floor and when in use hose is put in sink.

bilge pump outlet

In earlier years I did much the same thing with a Thirsty Mate, and never had a problem. I still carry a Thirsty Mate.

However, my experience is that when the boat is really in trouble, or you come to the boat while it is at the dock but up to its gunwales, the last thing in the world you have tme to do, or want to do, or can do is to arrange the bilge pump exit hosing. I believe that standard safety practice is that the bilge pump be operable from the cockpit - totally.

Unless there is some way to secure or to hold the drain hose in the sink, my experience is that hoses flop around and will eventually make a mess in the cabin, pumping water back into the bilge.

The sink drain hose is not large enough for a decent sized bilge pump. Even using a Thirsty Mate to pump out the bilge, I fill the sink and have to stop while it drains. A bilge pump requires 1" to 1 1/2 inch hosing more or less straight through

You might want to consider, putting the hose into the cockpit, rather than the sink, because the cockpit drain hose is larger capacity and there is a bigger plenum.

Just some thoughts.

Question Bilge Pump Discussions

Need some advice on bilge pumps. #66 came with one of those long hand pumps (looks like a bicycle air pump), but it seems to be terribly inadequate to me and I certainly wouldn't trust it in an emergency.

Can anyone recommend any particular brand/model?
    How about size?
    Dealers where I can find it/them?
    Configurations:
    --I've read in Good Old Boat about using a large electric supplemented by a smaller one, but are electric pumps really necessary?
    --Where do you put a manual pump? In the cockpit? Near the bilge? One in each place?
    --I've read that you should never put one where you have to open a locker/door/whatever to use it. If that is the case, would a cockpit-mounted pump have to be out in the open and in the way? Can a pump be mounted out of sight with the handle easily reached?
    --Are there bilge pumps that can be foot operated?
    Brent
    #66, "Dulcinea"
    Cape Cod, MA

Those "tube" pumps are not very effecient if there is a lot of water to move. Mostly, they satisfy the race committee

I believe Practical Sailor found that the Whale Gusher Titan was a good pump - but that surprisingly, Whale's little "Urchin" pump moved more water.

Location?

The manual has a discussion of where to locate a manual bilbe pump.

For safety, it should be mounted where it can be operated from both inside and outside the cabin.

For ease of operation, it should be mounted so the handle is vertical (on the bridge deck. That way you move it back and forth rather than up and down (less tireing).

That said, most people mount a Whale, Edson and Guzzler pump on the cockpit locker bulkhead near the tiller.

Post Locating Bilge Pump for Safety & Sources

Locating a bilge pump for inside and outside operation: Only one boat have I seen with such an installation. The pump was mounted on the bridge deck bulkhead in the cockpit. The other side was over the sink in the Ariel's main cabin. Will look for an old photo we had.

Bilge pumps are sold in local chandleries and can be found in Defender, USBoat and West Marine catalogs. The little Urchin runs about $60 with a through deck mounting and removable handle. You might send a message to Theis (a forum member) and ask his opinion of the Urchin he purchased last year.

Bill,

Thanks for the advice.

But, does anyone else out there have an opinion on bilge pumps? Anyone use electric pumps? Any reason why I should?
    Brent
    #66, "Dulcinea"
    Cape Cod, MA

Bilge pumps

I have a Rule 2000 electric pump on Sirocco with an 1 1/8 discharge line.Pumps alot of water fast at the flick of a switch.Had a hand pump when I got the boat,took it out and threw it away.

I think its ideal to have a hand AND an electric pump. What if you don't have power....that manual pump will look pretty good then...

And to have a bilge pump automatically turn on if need be while no one is on board can be a boat saver.

Hand pumps

Hand pumps are great if you have crew to switch off with,I prefer a bucket for back up because I sail alone.Dont know about you but I`m 38 years old and cant pump very long by my self.I prefer a large battery bank and a large capacity pump.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 04-22-2002 at 04:17 PM.

I agree. When all else fails, the bucket. I had to resort to that when the battery operated And manual pump failed !!

If you sail alone, then what do YOU do to "tie down" the tiller while you leave the cockpit for a short while?? Inquiring minds want to know.

Pumps

Sorry I sail the Chesapeake Bay,I can allways run the boat aground as a last resort.Pluse I have an autopilot,which I use most of the time anyway.I think that you only sail in the ocean so you dont have my options.But if your alone you cant do both work the pump and fix the leak.
    Last edited by S.Airing; 04-23-2002 at 07:09 AM.

Bilge pump

Here is Sirocco`s bilge pump a Rule 2000
    Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread