+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Storm Jib for a Commander

Live in: Ocqueoc, Mi Home Port: Drummond Island, MI

Question Storm Jib for a Commander

We have several sails for our Commander, but no storm jib. Only two Genoas. Could someone give me the dimensions for a storm jib? There is one on Ebay that I'm interested in, but my manual is on the boat and I'm at work!

Thanks
    Liz Fagel
    s/v Fagel Attraction II
    Pearson Commander #75

Do you have reef points in your main? We find that a 110% jib will work fine to over 30 knots, at which point you can reef the main and sail in over 45+ knots of wind. For a true storm jib, you would likely want something in the 50% or smaller range. I think any good sailmaker can advise you on the proper sail. We here, of course, recommend Hogin Sails [http://www.sfsailing.com/hoginsails/]

The (maximum) dimensions for the 110% class jib are:

Luff: 28' 6"
    Foot: 10' 4"
    Leach: 25' 0"

Live in: Ocqueoc, Mi Home Port: Drummond Island, MI
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the information on the jib. No we don't have a 110% jib either. We can put two reefs in the main. But we then have to drop the Genoa as we are still over canvassed at times. I would like either a jib or storm jib for the commander. This boat came with two spinnakers, two 150% Genoas, two staysails, but no jib. Don't figure. We don't race this boat, just long weekend cruises and daysails with guests aboard. I think, like you suggest, the boat would be better balanced with either a jib or storm jib and only one reef in the main.

Fair Winds :B>:
    Liz Fagel
    s/v Fagel Attraction II
    Pearson Commander #75

Peter Theis is a Great Lakes Ariel sailor with experience building a sail inventory for lake sailing. He's currently on an extended lake cruise, but you might drop him an E-mail. Check his posts under the "sailing" forum for contacts (or check his "profile"). Peter was trying to meet up with other Ariel/Commander sailors along the way, which is why he posted some contacts.

+ Reply to Thread