+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boom Gallows

Boom Gallows

A macabre term. It does refer to executions.
    But can we have a discussion about its possible use aboard an Ariel?
    1. Lashing the boom for heavy weather.
    2. Location for OB davits.
    3. Steady brace for standing in the cockpit.
    4. Terminal for canopies and enclosures.
    5 Relocating the mainsheet out of the cockpit.

If we are going to be able to rig a trisail, the boom has to be lashed to a gallows of some sort.
    That may be its main purpose.

The gallows on the Ariel wouid be positioned just forward of the end of the cockpit.
    The bail for sheet block would have to be moved on the boom to be on the cockpit side of the gallows.

As we progress in age from agile to fragile having a strong rail aft in the cockpit is a healthy and life preserving idea.
    The gallows can be a bimini termination point.
    In fact the top cloth can be rolled up and velcroed to the crosspiece.

The legs of the gallows can be used to rig a derrick for lifting an OB out of the well.
    Useful for lifting other awkward items in and out of the cockpit.

It will take some fiddling to excuse the gallows from the mainsheet.
    Maybe the gallows could be made adjustable up and down.
    Or hinged back and down over the stern?

LitlGull will need studying as to wheteher the mainsheet can be rigged off the crosspiece
    - with or without a traveler.
    BUT check out google> mist-gallows
    which shows a simple system hook-up to the boom with double blocks.
    One of the doubles at the center of the crosspiece
    with the sheet going to a single block on the starboard corner of the gallows then down to the cockpit and a winch or cleat.

Any you guys think about a gallows on the Ariel?
    Too complicated? Too expensive? Unsightly? Unnecessary?
    Or essential as I have come to believe.

The design of a multi-purpose gallows would not be the wood, bronze and pipe monsters we see on varnish barges.
    But something more a compromise between lightness and strength. Mist's is made with aluminum.

Interest???
    Here's another starting point:
    google> boom gallows - Yachting and Boating World Forums
    Classic Boat Forum
    Last edited by ebb; 11-10-2010 at 12:06 PM.

Back before Faith got her ridiculously expensive dodger / bimini I though long and hard about a gallows.

I could not make it work, at least not to my mind's eye. The problem was (to me) that visually it wanted to be farther aft then the end of the boom (of course that will not work).

Having seen your work, I bet you will do it though Ebb. THe only thing I can add would be the angle of the curve will probably want to look something like the angle of the round edges of the cabintop. That was the angle I went with the dodger, and I think those angles look really great on your dodger.... you can do it ebb.. I know it will be wonderful when you do....

... oh yea, and you can mount your solar panel to the trailing edge of it too!

s/v 'Faith'

1964 Ariel #226
    Link to our travels on Sailfar.net

ebb, i agree.. a saddle on your dodger sounds like a good possibility.

i am curious thought, will you need one? between a rigid vang and the traveler pulled outboard the boom may be pretty secure even without a gallow.
    cheers,
    Bill

Thanks guys,
    don't want this to disintegrate into a discussion about A338.
    Altho I appreciate it.

That's two votes against a permanent gallows.

Immobilizing the boom at its end to a strong point like a gallows is probably best.

However lashing the boom into a midpoint saddle at the end of the dodger (top not yet built on A338)
    and hardening up on the rigid vang, and immobilizing the end of the boom by spreading the traveler leads wide apart, that would be adequate. Course I don't know where to lead the storm sail sheets.
    Later for that.
    Hiscock says they once spent two weeks on the spitfire. That must have been a ride!

Arguably a rail on the dodger over the cockpit will provide ample standing handhold.
    Another upright is not necessary.
    And to get the OB inandout of the well will be setting up the portable Garhauer davit gear only when wanted.

The dodger wind-screen on A338 is now permanently installed. Seems solid as a rock.
    Hopefully it's not too much added windage and added weight.
    Two ways to go with the remaining roof. Spring a composite panel over the companionway making it into a hard dodger.
    Or, instead, do a folding sunbrella and tube pram hood that allows uncomplicated access below. This could be an expensive proposition but is much lighter in weight, and folded will decrease windage.

Only on the hard dodger roof can a boom saddle be mounted, or built in.
    BUT, can imagine dredging out of the cockpit locker an old-fashioned sissors crutch to immobilize the end of the boom.
    Something like that would be smart, actually.

Craig, I can see a hard dodger set up where the sides come down to the coamings scooped out in Albergeze elipses for visabilty. Certainly sunbrella fillers could be snapped in when needed for more protection.
    Will mock up a full sized model of the top to figure out head room and the aesthetics. And to decide which style is best. Hot'damn, just bit my tongue.

But, you know , like a true amatuer, I've added so much remodel weight to lit'lgull that I'm going to have to go as light as possible with anymore additions from here on in.
    Last edited by ebb; 11-12-2010 at 09:36 AM.

+ Reply to Thread